Wood Petrifier For Rotted Logs, Etc. On Waterfall

Reaction score
Country
United States
I currently have a piece of rotted limb across my spillway, to naturalize the look. I'm very pleased with the result, but over time I'm sure it will just start to crumble away.

I've also found a larger piece of wood in the same condition, and will work well for naturalizing another area.

I was thinking of purchasing some wood "petrifier", and applying, to perhaps keep the various pieces of decaying wood from continuing to decay. I've located some larger containers of Petrifier, one from PC Products, that I can get in up to 5 gal., but it's fairly pricey.

Just wondered if anyone has used this method, or would I be wasting my money?

Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wood can last for hundreds of years under water. Logs are dredged up from rivers and swamps that have been there for hundreds of years and are sold for a hefty price. As long as ogyxen isn't getting to your logs, I don't think you'd need to worry about it. If they ARE exposed to air, then unfortunately I don't have any advice. But if they are completely covered by the water flowing over them I think you'd be fine.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wood can last for hundreds of years under water. Logs are dredged up from rivers and swamps that have been there for hundreds of years and are sold for a hefty price. As long as ogyxen isn't getting to your logs, I don't think you'd need to worry about it. If they ARE exposed to air, then unfortunately I don't have any advice. But if they are completely covered by the water flowing over them I think you'd be fine.
In my case, yes, they will be, and one (spillway area) is just laying across and over top of water. Looks pretty darn natural, but only the bottom of it is touching the water flowing out of spillway. I may give the "petrifier" a try at some point.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I would make sure the petrifier, is allowed to cure for awhile away from the pond, if you decide to give it a go. Most wood treatments are toxic to aquatic life, so be careful on what you coat anything that comes into contact with the water around your pond.

I have alot of deadwood in and around my pond. I kind of look at it, like if it rots it gives me something else to tinker with ie finding new pieces of wood, which I tend to do anyway.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wood that is kept wet will take decades to rot. wood that is allowed to get wet then dry out is when you start to see decay. You want two things for a longer life 1. the type of wood cypress , teak cedar ipe and mahogany are amoung your best choices but not many have logs and stumps of these species available. Oak and pine if kept wet will do well. any preservative is only surface deep. they do little to get into the center of a log. And when the water pernitrates which it will will start to leach the chemicals into your water.
2. if you choose a log that you can pull apart at all is a log or stump that should be avoided. doesn't mean you can't use it it is just going to leach organics into your water, what we strive to avoid or remove. but i have a stump and a log that are both very soft on the outside by design because i wanted moss to thrive on them .
though i am a closed system so are vernal pools in the wild it's a balance. the fish make for a large imbalance thus the filters

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Exactly , It's actually a combination of the cold water and lack of oxygen or just lack of oxygen that delays the decay. the great lakes still has huge old growth trees at the deepest parts from 200 years ago. Wood that is some of the priciest that money can buy .

Ask a Question