Cleaning pond liner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have an 800 gallon above ground pound with a liner. The line has a light coating of green algae. My wife says I should brush it off, and it will easily come off, and I say the fish will nibble on it. The algae is not long or stringy and my water is clear. So what is everyone's opinion. I say leave it alone. I am new at this and the pond has only been up and running 6 months.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You came to the right place to get an education on ponding. Read through the many posts here and you will be amazed at all the information given by all the friendly members.

So, about your question:
Never clean that off. It serves a purpose. You said your water is clear. Leave well enough alone. Your pond is doing good, so why mess with it?

As you stated, the fish will nibble on it. Plus, it is an important part of the pond's natural cycle of absorbing excess nutrients created by fish waste.
Algae is a plant and plants feed on those excess nutrients which helps keep your water clean. Think of it as a part of your filtration system.

Also, what would you rather see? An unnatural black rubber liner or a nice natural looking green surface?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Always leave the good stuff on the liner as it helps water quality and feeds the fish and helps with the spring start up of the pond

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agree with above, leave it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What is green and slimy to us is caviar to your fish.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have an 800 gallon above ground pound with a liner. The line has a light coating of green algae. My wife says I should brush it off, and it will easily come off, and I say the fish will nibble on it. The algae is not long or stringy and my water is clear.
Tell your wife it is a pond, not an aquarium, and if she wants an 800 gallon aquarium, she needs to be the one in there cleaning it constantly. Yes, you can keep a pond clean and clear like an aquarium, but it is a lot of work because ponds have SUN whereas aquariums do not - and aquariums placed near windows, if you've ever done it, are a huge hassle to keep algae out of because of the sun. Your wife is fighting a losing battle: ponds are not aquariums. I have a very small pond (about 75 gallons all told) and I do keep mine clean like an aquarium, but it is a lot of work and my pond only gets a few hours of evening sun: no way it's gonna happen in 800 gallons in the sun.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
ha. My father in law use to empty his 600g pond once or twice a year because he wanted to clean off the liner. It took years of telling him that it's not an aquarium to get him to stop. The pond isn't isolated from nature... so within a short time it will be right back.

Ask a Question