Crickets

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
My dog was chasing a cricket this afternoon, so I picked it up and dropped it into the pond. My largest koi, a white butterfly 12-13 inches long, immediately ate it. Then I started thinking maybe that was a bad idea. Then I though we use crickets as bait when fishing, maybe this is a natural food. What do ya'll think?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I do the same thing. I've tossed in all types of bugs and flies, worms, anything that might have been used as bait should be ok. I did, however, give them a bunch of caterpillars, and found out later that some (not the ones I gave them, thank goodness) caterpillars are poisonous. But, crickets and worms, those should be fine. I figure it's a natural food, what could it hurt? Only thing is if water is still really cold, best not to feed, but I bet your water is far above the 50 or 55 degree baseline for feeding.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I haven't checked the water temps with a thermometer, but pretty sure the water is warm enough. we've had an unusually warm spring this year. I am constantly digging up big fat earthworms when planting flowers but I don't think I could feed them to the fish, too beneficial to the soil, lol. Flies are another story.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol I save worms, sure is hard to dig, there are so many of them. Our cricket population is way down due to the toad and frogs we have everywhere now with this pond. We used to be overrun with those big black ones, hardly see any now. I agree with ce, crickets won't hurt your fish

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
When I'm out walking I rescue the worms in the road among other things. Can't touch the worms tho, grab a little twig and carry them to safe area. The ones at our property that are half dead from either squished or burnt get to go to the fish. They do love them!
I can't throw live things that are fit to live tho,it would bother me. They can catch their own,lol!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I feel sorry for them, they start rolling on the road when their skin starts to dry. I snag them and toss them back into the grass.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Around here, when there are lots of rains, the worms are all over the sidewalk, trying to get out of the water. I can't stand to see them there when I go to work, so I'm gathering them up and tossing them onto the hill that goes up to the windows, where they will be dryer. People look at me funny, I just tell them, "I'm saving the worms!" Then they look at me like I'm crazy, but I don't mind. :)
I've been finding lots of grubs (small ones) while digging, and typically toss them into the ponds for the fish. I don't like grubs, they usually become June bugs or Japanese beetles or something like that and I don't care for those bugs either.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep sorry skeeters and biting flies must be sacrificed. The non-biting flies in the house I collect w/a glass and a flat piece of thin cardboard on the windows and then transport outside if the cats don't get them first and eat them,yuck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hogheavnn

Latest Threads