Likelihood of a predator getting a large turtle (in town)?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe the title says it all. I had a large (football-sized) FL cooter in my backyard pond, for a year now. I placed him there last summer. Lately, he's vanished. I don't live near any significant bodies of water. He would sun pondside during daylight, but I never saw him stroll around the yard.

I'm wondering: would a raccoon, possum, fox or another large predator go for a large turtle? I have a feeling they're opportunistic, so probably -- and I have all of those creatures in my yard at 1 time or another. Rarely see a dog in the back yard, but ... you never know. My neighbors lately have a cat. Another possibility? Hard for me to imagine.

Thoughts from the community? Thx much ....

Mitch

Attachments

• Lambchop at home (by the bee hive and pond).jpg
    Lambchop at home (by the bee hive and pond).jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 15

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
They might try if they catch him away from water but would take the form of chewed appendages unless they could carry him off which does not seem likely unless it was a large dog. The other option is he went looking for companionship. How long has he been missing?

We just had a public alert to watch for turtles crossing, that time of year here. I myself just did a double take a couple of days ago as I saw a painted turtle safely exiting a 4 lane 55mph highway from an industrial area headed towards a residential. Must have been in a retention pond or the ditches along/dividing the road, nothing else very close I know of.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Tis the time of year for turtles to go out seeking mates! I’m sure you already know this, but turtles are expert escape artists. They will climb, they will dig……and I swear I think they can even levitate! They’re also good at hiding. Hopefully yours is secure in your yard, and will turn up soon!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thx, guys; that may be the case. The little reptile vanished about 2-3 weeks ago. I'm still new to turtle lore, so .... Much of my back yard is jungle/brush, etc; maybe territory a turtle might consider good digs?

Last week, while 10 miles out of town on the highway, I saw an exact duplicate of "Lambchop" crossing the road. My thought: wow! That's some turtle if it's Lambchop!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
10 miles in a week or so is very doable for a turtle.

Ask a Question