Crossbreeding

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Currently in the pond some babies have appeared, and I must say I can't wait to see the variety of koi that comes out of it. I believe a black and white butterfly koi mated with a black and gold koi (the name slips my mind) and a sarasa comet mated with any of the other fish in the pond, only ones I can rule out right now are an albino catfish and shubinkins

A

Advertising

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
Currently in the pond some babies have appeared, and I must say I can't wait to see the variety of koi that comes out of it. I believe a black and white butterfly koi mated with a black and gold koi (the name slips my mind) and a sarasa comet mated with any of the other fish in the pond, only ones I can rule out right now are an albino catfish and shubinkins
How big is your albino catfish?

A

Advertising

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Black koi with gold back is termed as Kinbo .

Dave

Reaction score
I have some half koi/comets that showed up in my pond when I only had comets... I called them the alien fish.

Babies
DSCN1053.JPG DSCN1055.JPG
And adults now. There are two of them. One much more dull then the other which has a beautiful copper color in the sun light. They are now about 12" long or a little longer. They grew faster than any fish I have had in the pond. They have 4 extremely small barbells and flat faces like the koi.

DSCN7508.JPG DSCN7451.JPG DSCN7450.JPG BB.jpg good.JPG

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
I have some half koi/comets that showed up in my pond when I only had comets... I called them the alien fish.

Babies
View attachment 87788 View attachment 87789
And adults now. There are two of them. One much more dull then the other which has a beautiful copper color in the sun light. They are now about 12" long or a little longer. They grew faster than any fish I have had in the pond. They have 4 extremely small barbells and flat faces like the koi.

View attachment 87790 View attachment 87791 View attachment 87792 View attachment 87793 View attachment 87794
They look like my koi/comet hybrids. I got one with beautiful white tipped butterfly fins and a white belly. Out of the water there sides are true gold color. I've often thought of getting a huge aquarium for him so I coukd actually show him off.

Reaction score
They look like my koi/comet hybrids. I got one with beautiful white tipped butterfly fins and a white belly. Out of the water there sides are true gold color. I've often thought of getting a huge aquarium for him so I coukd actually show him off.
The are pretty fish. I am planning on getting rid of the rest of my comets and having only koi. I am torn though on getting rid of these two. I really like them.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
I thought about rehoming my comets to but I can't do it,they were my first pond fish,several of them are 12 yrs old.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
I thought about rehoming my comets to but I can't do it,they were my first pond fish,several of them are 12 yrs old.
I know exactly how you feel there Smaug, we wouldnt part with any of our original koi

Dave

Reaction score
Country
I have some Koi / Goldfish mix's too. I can't find anyone who has been able to breed mix X mix. Have any of you had any luck with that? The mother to mine is in my pic, and the dad was a long fin red, and white comet(?).

A

Advertising