Do it like the Egyptians...leveling a pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I will add for the record the revivor is nice to have but is not necessary key is to not use to small a gauge or tubing as air bubbles can give you inaccurate readings. but other then that little is as accurate as is a water level. but lasers are faster and easier

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have about $100 into my laser level set up (laser + receiver + grading rod) and it’s the best. Cheapest possible setup but works great. Going to use it all over the property.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
We used a string level - not the most accurate, but it did the trick. Took four of us though - two to hold the string, one to read the level and the fourth one to question every decision we made... that one was me!
You sound like me!!!! :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hmmm yes an old thread but an important topic when you fill up your brand new pond and the water rises on one side more than the other! What happened to just laying down a long 2x4 across two sides of the pond and putting a small level on top. It pretty easy to read if the 2x4 is not level!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm in the process of rebuilding my pond and needed to correct some areas that were not level. Initially I staked several string lines but was not getting consistent measurements when double and triple checking...
Called my contractor son in law figuring he would have a laser level. Unfortunately his broke while finishing his basement. He recommended renting one from a big box store. No luck there either . So I started to research them to purchase. The prices started at $50 and went up into the thousands. The cheap ones will not project in day light . While researching how to use the laser level on you tube there were a couple of videos for using a WATER LEVEL. After watching a half dozen or so of videos a common comment was this was how the EGYPTIANS leveled the pyramids.. now I don't know how true these claims are but I figured why not give this a shot. There are several variations on you tube . The one pictured below I built for less than $15... The parts include 20 ft 1/2" ID vinyl tubing , a container, scrap piece of 2x4, 1/2" hose barb, berry kool aid to color the water, and an optional 1/2" barbed valve. In the picture the valve and the box is closed so it is not showing level. If the valve and container top was open the fluid in the tube would be at the same height as the container.
View attachment 99430
The build took less than 30 minutes.
Very easy to use. Set up one point for a reference then take the tube attached to the 2x4 along the perimeter of the pond stopping as often as deemed necessary to take measurements.
If you are interested in building one go to you tube and search Water Level.
Hope this saves other members money and research time.
Early in my days on construction sites, this was the only way it was done. There were no laser levels yet.

I don't know why you have a reservoir though, we never ever had that. All we had was a long clear tubing filled with water. To make it easier to see the level, we had a short glass tube at each end for clarity and precision. The tubing alone was not as clear as the glass.

When I did my pond and bog, I used a line level. I stretched very thin strong string across very tightly, then hung the line level on the string.
That was good enough for me. I wasn't building a skyscraper.

Ask a Question