Hi from Athens, GA

Reaction score
I added some more plants and moved the water hyacinth around to accommodate them. I picked up some dwarf umbrella palm and rain lily. I took them out of their plastic pots and have them planed in some soil covered by rocks. I'm hoping that is the correct way to do it.

Here are some photos. Hoping that they flourish in the pond.

Dwarf umbrella palm

Rain Lily

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you could have planted them in 100% clay kitty litter it helps buffer the water and plants grow just as good .I do soak mine before they go in the pond and clean the roots real good before I put them in the pond .I don't want to bring anything bad into my pond

Reaction score
sissy said:
you could have planted them in 100% clay kitty litter it helps buffer the water and plants grow just as good .I do soak mine before they go in the pond and clean the roots real good before I put them in the pond .I don't want to bring anything bad into my pond
Clay litter? hmm.. Will have to try that out especially if it helps keep the water clear. I may put some in some nylon stockings and stick it in the waterfall box as well to assist with water clarity.

Learn something new every day. Thanks Sissy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hey philodox, welcome to gpf. Your pond looks great, My pond is somewhat similar and I only keep goldfish too. I pot all my plants in pea gravel. You have to wash it well before using it but it has the added benefit of keeping the planters weighed down so they don't fall over. The only thing I would suggest different is not to put all the rocks on your shelves. Eventually they will trap waste and other particles. For me it's easier to let everything move towards the bottom and I just clean it by netting that stuff out.

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/6742-my-goldfish-pond/

Reaction score
CometKeith said:
Hey philodox, welcome to gpf. Your pond looks great, My pond is somewhat similar and I only keep goldfish too. I pot all my plants in pea gravel. You have to wash it well before using it but it has the added benefit of keeping the planters weighed down so they don't fall over. The only thing I would suggest different is not to put all the rocks on your shelves. Eventually they will trap waste and other particles. For me it's easier to let everything move towards the bottom and I just clean it by netting that stuff out.

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/6742-my-goldfish-pond/

Well, the pond is still a work in progress. However, I think we can all say that!

I have been kicking around the idea of getting some gravel/clay mix in certain spots near the edge of the pond in lieu of having flat stones around the edge. Once I get the gravel/clay mix compacted i'd put some soil on top in order to have some land based plants closer to the edge of the pond. Who knows, I may try it. If I don't like it I can always go back :p

I find this hobby quite relaxing and a good change of pace from keeping aquariums.. which reminds me... I have to keep tending to those too... so much work, so little time!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ponding work never ends because after we build we change this and that .To stabilize your ph use crushed oyster shells you can get them at tractor supple they are used for chickens as it makes the eggshells stronger .But in ponds it adds calcium .I put it in dollar store bags and even mix it in with the kitty litter .I use furnace filters and then under that I put quilt batting to filter out all the fine stuff .
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53507]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53602]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52798]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52796]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:46716]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:44907]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Digital Brains Tech