It’s that time of year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Yup - time to divide that thing @bagsmom ! And survive? Just TRY to kill it! It’ll be fine. They can come clean out of the pot and thrive beautifully - in fact, your lily may be planning a big escape!
I ask because I divided it last season and put a "hunk" of it in a little fabric bag pot, weighted with rocks. I thought that smaller part would just hang out in this pond for a while and I could move it to the next pond later, so I didn't plant it in any kitty litter or other media. Well, of course, this project is taking way longer than I planned. The bulb or corm or whatever we call it got all rotted and sad. I thought maybe it was because it was loose in the water with nothing to anchor to. Maybe it was just a fluke?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Divide away, do it now, do it in the spring, do it in the summer, they don't care. For winter cut all the leaves, stems, old flowers off. I usually even need to cut off buds since mine seem to bloom until the pond is really cold.

They are finally slowing down!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The bulb or corm or whatever we call it got all rotted and sad.
There is a good chance the hunk you cut off was a non growing or struggling hunk. Anything you save make sure there is a growing tip, small leaves tiny stems will be there. When you weigh it down with a rock in a bag, the growing tip needs to be up, i.e. it may have ended up down in the pond muck on the liner etc.

Ask a Question