Lilly

Bat

Reaction score
I have a lilli pad that has realy grown since having it and actually flowered twice, to which i have just recently learnt that the flowers only flower for 5 days roughly then sink back under and needs to be cut off at the base.

My question is.......a few of the lilly pads are yellowish and seem to be withering away...do I need to also prune them when they go like that?

Simon

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I do what DrDave suggested. When the lilly blossom is finished blooming, I cut the blossom stem off about an inch from the pot. I also remove any lilly pads that are starting to turn yellew. The last thing you need is rotting vegitaion in your controled enviroment.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Since I started removing the yellowing lilly pads and old spent blossums, my lillies started to grow much faster. They are at a point where the lilly pads cover almost all of the surface of my 365 gallon pond. As a result I totally removed all of the hyacinths that were growing faster than I could thin them out.

Just as a note: I fertalize as recomended by the mamnufacturer on each fertalizer container.

Ask a Question