Lilly pads going yuck

Mel

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi to all.
Im all new to this and we put in a fish pond and now the water has now gone green and my new lillie pads are going mushy and brown. We had put in alge treatment tablet recomended by the pet shop but seems to have done nothing.
We have a good pump with filter thats big enough for the pond.
Is this something i should be concerned about or is this all normal ??
Thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome Mel!
Can you describe your pond setup, size, filtration, how many/what size fish, the results of any water tests, how long the pond has been set up for, what additives you've used?
Pictures help.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Just to add,( to MitchM's post) the green water algae bloom is typical in new ponds as the pond is establishing itself, best to let it run it's course. (ie not adding algae treatments)The pond will clear on its own if you have set it up correctly.

As for lilies turning brown and mushy, do the lilies still have new growth from the growing tip on the tuber/rhizome? Did you add fertilizer tabs to the pot it's planted ? How deep is the lily in the pond? How much sun does it get? The pads will eventually turn brown and die back over time, as long as the lily is still putting up new pads it is fine.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum! More info like they say above helps us help you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome welcome! You'll find lots of friendly, helpful pond people here ready to answer your questions!

Mel

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thanks .
Yea its 400mn deep gets full shade in the heat of the day. The pond is only about 4 wks old if that . We have 4 little fish commit,fantail and gold fish.
The lillies are down the full debth of the pond and so is the oxygenation plant. There both not huge as there still growing hopefully. We put some fertilizer in the pots for them which was recomended from our local gadrden shop. The water lillies are producing but have noticed the new leaves are also getting eaten but not going yuck yet?? Could it be the fish destroying the plant? The fish seem very happy and relaxed as they race around swimming and popping up fast for food and to say a quick hello my daughter is in love with them .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Lily pads go through a natural life cycle. The new pads come to the surface and then slowly they age over the next few days. They may get ragged around the edges or yellowed (or both) before they finally sink again and decay. Ideally you will get them out of your pond before they have a chance to rot. You can pull them off the plant as they start to look not so great - they will just keep coming!

And you have small fish - there's little chance they are bothering your lily pads. But post some pics if you can - it's always easier if we can see what we're talking about!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
pics help to determine what might be affecting your lilies. As Jhn noted, lilies will have die-off but you should see signs of active growth if they're healthy. Sometimes fertilizer can burn the plants and kill it. I use fertilizer tabs as they're made to dissolve slowly.

Mel

Reaction score
Country
Australia
1515356481557669348613.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
my lilies will get like that. Give yours time to recover as that is probably your best hope for now. This doesn't look like fish damage (and the ones you have are not really known for bothering plants; that said, they will nipple on plants if they're hungry and you aren't supplying additional food). I've had lilies go through a transition period and die-back when I first get them (mid summer purchases) and they've come back. If you want, you can pull the lily up and see if the tuber is 'squishy' or firm. The latter means you're probably okay. The former means you're about to lose a new friend...

edit; hmm, is that ice over top the lily? Didn't notice that the first time; if so, it just means your lily is dying back for the season. Lilies are warm weather creatures...

Mel

Reaction score
Country
Australia
No deff not ice cover we are in summer here.
Yea im hoping all is well. As i said earlier the fish seem to be very happy hopefully its just the plant doing its thing and before i know it will be going great. Thanks for your feed back. Could it be possible we put the plant feeder in too soon causing this??

Mel

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Good news i just pulled the plants up and found new shoots popping up so i think there going to be fine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum,
The quality all ponders learn to develop is patience. Ponds take time to cycle & settle. Plants take time to grow. There are no quick fixes. But sitting back, watching and waiting is great fun. Highly addictive. Enjoy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Probably plant shock on the lilypads, the old foliage dying back as the transplanted waterlily sets about starting a new set of roots. New shoots trying to start are encouraging. Can take a month for a new cycle of lilypads to start up and get to producing full size lilypads

Lilypads don't like turbulence, water splashing on the top of the pads,you might shield it away from the fountain...

Ask a Question