my first ever WATER LILY!

Reaction score
Moved the water lily back into the pond the day before yesterday because the fish... well... I dunno if fish can technically get bored, but I used to love watching them swim in and out and between the lily pads, and since I took it out... it just didn't look like they were having as much fun, LOL. I DO know that the moment I put it back in the pond, they were all over it, er... well... UNDER it, and chasing each through the stems, etc... AND THEN? I came home from work today to my first lily!!!

5941670111_76c0962bcd.jpg

5942217564_3ea0670630.jpg

5942226608_c801cde2a0.jpg

5942232760_2aa1ffef3f.jpg

5941680665_f33a5db321.jpg

5941673757_072c6e56ee.jpg

tee hee!!! :(

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice lulu! congratulations on being a water lily mommy! Love the leaf patterns

Reaction score
Very pretty! Mine have only bloomed once in three years ): Where did you find a container that big and what are the other plants you have in there they look so healthy?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Looks very nice! Great photo's! I really like the shots across the top of the water and the water is so crystal clear. JOB WELL DONE!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Really nice photo's and water looks so clear and fish and plants growing beautifully.
You do nice work :)

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! *grinning* You have no idea how much your kind words mean to me!! Considering that it's only an itsy tiny version of what most of you have, and considering how long most of you have been doing this compared to my short time in the hobby, I'm VERY flattered. :)

okiee... the tub isn't really that big, the water lilly is a miniature or dwarf version, a Helvola. The flowers are only 2-3" in diameter, tops. The other plants are mostly aquarium plants. Since I had to put my tiny pond under the deck to keep it from getting too hot for fish, it gets almost no sun - only an hour or so of very indirect sun in the morning, and a sliver of it (25% or so) gets another hour or so of sun in the afternoon... so... most pond plants wouldn't live/survive in my pond due to lack of sun.

None of them except for the water lily are actually planted. The rest are either just weighted with lead-free solder around the stems and/or stuck into the rocks, etc...

Plants:
Amazon Swords
Submerged and marginal Creeping Jenny
3 or 4 different types of Anubias
Java Fern
Java Moss
a red/purple/green small leaved aquarium plant that I don't know the name of
Needle Rush
Baby's Tears
& Water Lettuce

And the largest ones? Plain ol' Pothos that everyone grows as a houseplant. I figured you can leave it rooting in a vase FOREVER, and it hates direct sunlight, and I HAVE TONS OF IT. One day I dropped it into a shady side of the pond one day while adding lettuce (hoping both would be nitrate mops) just to see what would happen... it's never been happier! After putting it in there, I read on a couple sites that it could be toxic, but I haven't noted anyone eating it, not even my one lonely koi, so I'm still undecided on if it's gonna stay or not.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What a neat idea, aquarium plants. Well your pond is a happy place with happy fish, it does not matter what size it is.

Reaction score
That is a neat idea. You are lucky that your pond is all shade lulu because I would love to grow those plants in mine. So pretty!

Ask a Question