New pond, did I do this right?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thank you all for the welcome and the advice. When I bought the Koi, the nursery said it was not too much. So I guess I should get my advice from you guys from now on and not the nursery. The pond has cleared up quite a bit. I can see the fish swim now. I've added some more plants, but I would like some more. I tested the water a few days ago and it was pretty good, I think. I'll check the levels again tonight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I just checked the water here's what I got.
PH- 9
Ammonia - .25
Nitrite - 0
Phosphate - 0

What do you guys think?
How would I get the PH and Ammonia to be lower?
I stopped adding the bacteria on Saturday based on the advice here, but at what point do I start to add again?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
what type of filter media u have ? if u see particles floating of muddy water then uil need to add some fine mesh for mechanical filtering and if ur current is strong it may b not letting it settle and no plants roots are trapping it
By filter media if you mean the spongy filter, I don't have one. The guy that put the pond together said my type of skimmer didn't need one. It has a net inside that I clean out the debris, which isn't much. There's no room for a filter pad in the box.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Pretty much agree with the previous comments. Time and patience are your friends, but I think you did add too many fish, too soon. Koi are going to grow fast, too, so you might end up being "over-stocked" before you're aware of it.

What kind of filtration do you have, and what size pump? Yes, please get a [liquid] water test kit and start checking your water. At this point, and with that many fish, keep a close watch on your ammonia levels and be prepared to do partial water changes if the level rises [a small amt of ammonia is OK at first and that's what will kick-start your biological filtration system -- but too much is toxic to the fish!].

And what are the pennies for?
The pump is a 3000 gph pump.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I just checked the water here's what I got.
PH- 9
Ammonia - .25
Nitrite - 0
Phosphate - 0

What do you guys think?
How would I get the PH and Ammonia to be lower?
I stopped adding the bacteria on Saturday based on the advice here, but at what point do I start to add again?
I'm not sure you need to add any more bacteria. My understanding is that you add it to jump-start the cycle, especially for new ponds. It sounds like your cycling is already underway at this point, in which case there shouldn't be any need to add more. I would keep adding plants, though. After I was finally able to add some water hyacinths and oxygenators (plus a couple of this's and that's) to my pond this Spring, my water clarity improved dramatically. The plants should outcompete the algae if the pond is in balance. I'm just not sure where additional bacteria would fit in at this point.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'm not sure you need to add any more bacteria. My understanding is that you add it to jump-start the cycle, especially for new ponds. It sounds like your cycling is already underway at this point, in which case there shouldn't be any need to add more. I would keep adding plants, though. After I was finally able to add some water hyacinths and oxygenators (plus a couple of this's and that's) to my pond this Spring, my water clarity improved dramatically. The plants should outcompete the algae if the pond is in balance. I'm just not sure where additional bacteria would fit in at this point.
Thank you. I'd like to get more plants, but I only have 1 supplier within 25 miles from me. I'll have to search around and see where else I can get plants. I'd like to get a variety of different plants.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you. I'd like to get more plants, but I only have 1 supplier within 25 miles from me. I'll have to search around and see where else I can get plants. I'd like to get a variety of different plants.
You can also purchase plants online, or see if any members have cuttings they would send you.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
copper is poisonous to koi .I had a couple here that did that and killed the koi they had .Guy told them about it and they listened to him and did it .Sad to say they lost all 3 of them .They came to the garden center and I was there and the lady at raymore garden center knows about me helping others with there ponds .I hold classes there sometimes for garden pond owners to answer some of the questions from people

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
copper is poisonous to koi

@sissy is absolutely correct! Copper is one of the most toxic of the Heavy Metals. Even at low levels, it can cause long term health issues in fish. Read https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/are-pond-ionizers-safe-you-be-the-judge.16720/
for a better understanding of the toxic levels and effects of Copper.
Remove the pennies ASAP.
Discontinue use of the bacterial additive as it offers no advantage now or for any foreseeable time in the future.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Time and patience makes a great pond .Hard to say and even harder to do .But that is the nature of the beast .

Reaction score
Country
United States
It takes everything in me to not touch my ponds when there new. In fact i have lost more than a few nights sleep fretting over "is the pump too small", "is the UV filter working", "do i have enough filtration". As has been stated, you just need to let it settle and balance first before you make any major changes. Test the water periodically and let the water do its thing!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Your best friend now would be a API Master test kit...... And do a 50% water change (dechlorinated water) .... I made the same mistake you have and put three large Koi 24" plus and four 10" plus in a new pond .... I have struggled for two months to get my pond to cycle but I have finally made it, didn't lose a fish .... But it came with a price, water changes twice a week, Pond Prime when my ammonia was completely out of control..... And adding plants..... I made it through it by listening to these guys and girls on this forum.... Jimmy

Ask a Question