Pond water not consistant - clear - brown - green

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Hmmm.. Ireland... brown water...are you sure you havent been spilling a little Guinness now and then? :beer: :cheerful:
John

Reaction score
MrKielbasa, aka MrTastyPolishSausage, I think you should build your own filter. It's fun and works a lot better than something like that.

Do you mean a trickle tower ? I took a look at some examples and not sure I would have somewhere to locate it - it looks complex. What other types of DIY filters are there?

Reaction score
Thought I would upload a snapshot of my pond to give a better idea of the layout . As you can see at the moment there is a border around it with pebbles. I plan to landscape the rest of the garden at some point .

If I was to investigate a waterfall feature with a DIY filter where do you see this going ? There is room at back of pond where the pebbles spill out ( drainage area) maybe there ?

pond.png

Reaction score
Hi

It was mentioned to me in an earlier post that I would be better to build my own filter. I am now considering this along with a waterfall as mentioned above . I am guessing from reading the other threads on this forum , that a 'skippy' style setup would be the most popular and then bury/ hide this in a waterfall build .. would this be the right path to take here ?

Reaction score
Skippy is by far the most popular in this forum and most water garden forums. In forums where filters are actually needed they're not popular at all and haven't been for about 15 years.

Reaction score
Thanks Waterbug . Not sure what you mean by your last sentence.You mean forums where consumers opt to buy the nasty 'all-in-one' type filters ?

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I would put it on the far end where it looks like the water is flowing into the rocks around the pond edge. You could hide it very easy with a small water fall with skippy doubling as your water fall box. You could have the outflow of the skippy feed the waterfall.

Reaction score
Hey thanks , yeah that is what I was thinking too . I might lift some of the paving stones from around 3/4 ways down and replace them with rocks and build that up and around the back of the pond and around my waterfall .Not sure how it would look with the smooth paving stones and rock together though.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They will blend. I have old concrete garden paver's blended with river rock and field stone. Just takes placement and moving things around.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Huge.

A foam filter that is cleaned every couple of days is a great filter.
A foam filter that is cleaned every couple of years is worthless.
Reallly, that was confusing? Oh dear.
What is a foam filter?

Ask a Question