Rinsing Hyacinth's roots good or bad?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was told if I wanted clear water, to periodically lift the water Hyacinth and rinse the mud off the roots....what are your opinions on that? Should I rinse the roots or is it best to leave things alone?

PS I love this Forum, you guys are great!! :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hmmm... I'm curious why you have mud on the roots at all. Unless they are located in your pond where they are on a shelf or touching the liner, then that makes sense.

It won't hurt to rinse the roots. I don't know how much difference it will make in your water clarity though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hmmm... I'm curious why you have mud on the roots at all. Unless they are located in your pond where they are on a shelf or touching the liner, then that makes sense.

It won't hurt to rinse the roots. I don't know how much difference it will make in your water clarity though.
I guess it's not really mud, but that's how he called all that stuff that gets trapped in the roots

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I guess it's not really mud, but that's how he called all that stuff that gets trapped in the roots

Ah, more likely sediment. Again, I don't think it would hurt, but if you only have a few hyacinths, really what difference could it make?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That probably makes sense but usually if I try to do much with my water hyacinths the sediment falls off in the water so I think it might be tricky to lift them out without disturbing them. I like to pretty much leave plants and even little patches of algae alone. I have a lot of dragonflies this year and they like to find little niches to lay eggs. I don't really like moving stuff around that might disturb things like that.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is not mud it is muck and I rinse mine in pond water and the water goes on my plants in the yard .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was just sitting here imagining hyacinths with roots on them... that's one thing our koi won't leave alone.
Mine have never been with the koi, I'm sure they wouldn't last long in the bottom pond! :)

Ask a Question