The basics

Reaction score
I am planning a kidney shapped pond, longest lenght is 8 ft, width 6 ft and 4 ft deep (i am in Quebec Canada, need 4 ft to allow the fish some unfrozen water in the winter). It will have some goldfish, and a waterfall.

I have no idea where to start!

Some info I have received leads me to a 5000 gph submersible pump, followed by a pressure filter (with UV) which is rated at 700 gph, then off to the waterfall.

Others have given me a 1000 gph pump, with skimmer and waterfall weir (with filter).

I am lost.

Set up will be about 1200 gallons, with approx. 15 feet of piping and a waterfall that starts 3 ft up.

What is the best way toi go...not looking to spend a fortune, but would like something that works.

Thanks much

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
With a pond that size if you pumped 1500 gph you would be in good shape
If you are 1/2 way handy look at the Skippy or the drum filters on this site
Welcome to the garden pond

Reaction score
Thank you.

Does the skippy act as a waterfall as well...or is it an independent piece?

If i went with the 1500 submersible bump, that would plug into the skippy and that is it...or pump to skippy, and skippy to waterfall?

Do i need a 55 g for a 1200 gallonn pond?

No other filtration required?

How do you guys hide it?

Thanks much.

MAB

Reaction score
it sure can. You can google skippy waterfall filter, and you can see how folks modify their barrels with a waterfall weir.

One 55 gallon barrel is good for every 1500 gallons of pond. That will work if you keep a normal volume of fish. If you overpopulate, you'll need to have another barrel.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Go to my website and you will see how I hid mine. After the wirey vine took over, the watefall structure looks very natural. Click on "bio filter" after you go there.

The 1 per 1500 gallons is based on a full capacity fish load. If you have a lot of Koi, then you may need additional filtration.

I find that if you have enough plants to assist in the water cleansing, you don't need much else. While my bio filter was down (6 weeks), my pond stayed at 0 nitrates/nitrites the whole time. I have a lot of plants so that is why. The bio filter, if properly made will remove a lot of solids from the water.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score

Attachments

• SANY0845.jpg
    SANY0845.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 282
Reaction score
Bernie,

Sounds like you are going to build a pond just like I was designing. To see my plan check it out under Newbie from norcal.

I was thinking 75 gallon skippy filter with a submersible 1500-2000gal pump depending on my ending hight of the filter.

I will be checking you out as I go along as well. Good luck and welcome.
Craig.

Reaction score
I don't have waterfall weir. My "skippy" has a 2" outlet that pipes directly to the back of the waterfall and connects to pipe that is sealed between the rocks with pond foam. You need to carefully seal the backs of waterfall rocks and my liner comes up to the top back of the waterfall. The pipe goes through a hole in the liner. My waterfall stack itself hid the 26 gal garbage can "skippy" (my pond is about 650gal) This week I've been working on a 55 gal drum skippy that sits behind the corner of the house and pipes over to the falls. Since it shows over the falls, I will put up a narrow lattice trellis at the corner of the house to hide it. I don't have pix of the new set up as my son has my camera, but here's pix of my old set up....

Attachments

• pondconstruct 015resize.jpg
    pondconstruct 015resize.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 267
  • pondconstruct 016resize.jpg
    pondconstruct 016resize.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 303

Ask a Question