First pond planning, still trying to grasp the basics...

rintintin

Erin
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm planning our first pond for completion over this summer. We are getting a privacy fence installed first so I have plenty of time for planning.

I need some help. I've been reading about all the different components for ponds and I don't know what I actually *need* to start out with. I know that I would be unhappy buying a preformed kit and then realizing it's not nearly big enough... so I did expand the size I plan on doing.

I've read about waterfall's, skimmers, filters, pumps, UV sterilizers, aeration stones, bio filters... you name it... but it's really confusing to me because I don't know what I actually need to get started. I know I don't need every single accessory known to man, but I also don't know where to even start in purchasing all this stuff... like I'm seen waterfalls that say they are filters too? So do you still need another filter?

Well here's what I have figured out so far. I think I want it to be about 8'x6'x2'-3' deep. I figured this is going to end up around 1000 gallons. I know I want to build a plant shelf. I know I want a waterfall. I'm pretty sure I don't want a bottom drain. I plan on using the Firestone 45 mil liner (15x15 I think). I do want a bio filter. I realize that's important... and I'm all for DIY projects, but do I really need a 55 gal drum sized bio filter for the size of pond that I want?

From what I've read, I also figured I'd need a pump that is rated around 2000 gals./hour since I want fish. Is this correct? I will stick to Goldfish first, maybe some smaller mosquito fish too, and see how it all goes. I want plants, I love plants! So that will be a big part of the fun of all this. I kinda want a turtle too... but I'll wait on that until the goldfish are abundant and my plants are established. :)

So, what do I NEED right away, and what can I add later?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hi, I am new here too, I got this information from another forum that tells you how to determine the size of your bio filter:

70 gal size filter at least to a 2000 gallon pond size
100 gal size filter at least to a 3000 gallon pond size
150 gal size filter at least to a 4500 gallon pond size

Hope this helps a little, I am still learning too!!

rintintin

Erin
Reaction score
riparks said:
Hi, I am new here too, I got this information from another forum that tells you how to determine the size of your bio filter:

70 gal size filter at least to a 2000 gallon pond size
100 gal size filter at least to a 3000 gallon pond size
150 gal size filter at least to a 4500 gallon pond size

Hope this helps a little, I am still learning too!!

Hmmm... so I supposed I do need one that big. Hmmm...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well you need right away a hole in the ground and a liner...............lol Keep it deep since you are in a cold area, your goldies will then be able to survive without being brought inside for the winter, and the pond is more stable, my pond had 8 inches of ice on it. zone 6ish. Make a shallow area, 2 feet plus for your lilies, lotus etc.
Some like skimmers some don't I have one I run just when the leaves are dumping or if the pond gets covered with pollen. Streams? water falls? .
after that figure out the size you just dug, buy the liner, while getting the liner, figure out the size of the pump and filter. While digging think about the type of filter you might want, home made or store bought. If you have a plant type filter (bog) along with a mechanical filter yours could be a little smaller. After you think about that when tired of digging, start building your filter or figuring out which one you want to buy.
If you want plants stick with goldies they are more gentle on plants then koi and hardier.

And as you go ask away, there are lots on this site that will help you.

WelcomeGroupSmiley.gif

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
All I have is a liner, submersible pumps and a bio filter. All the rest is fluff and not required.
This has worked for me for the past 43 years. I am a Koi Breeder and Garden Pond Plant Nursery using only this.
Keeping it simple is not only cost effective, but easier to maintain. If you decide later you need all that other clap trap, then save your money and go for it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep agree drdave, mine is pure biological filtration, every pond made has been the same, but I do use a skimmer which you don't. Just run to suck up those leaves.

rintintin

Erin
Reaction score
DrDave said:
All I have is a liner, submersible pumps and a bio filter. All the rest is fluff and not required.
This has worked for me for the past 43 years. I am a Koi Breeder and Garden Pond Plant Nursery using only this.
Keeping it simple is not only cost effective, but easier to maintain. If you decide later you need all that other clap trap, then save your money and go for it.

That's exactly what I needed to know! That helps a lot.

So, say I do the bio filter behind my waterfall... do I get one of those waterfall weirs with a filter in it? Would that just be added filtration?

Can you recommend any pumps for what I'm trying to do? Do I just need one?

addy1 said:
Yep agree drdave, mine is pure biological filtration, every pond made has been the same, but I do use a skimmer which you don't. Just run to suck up those leaves.

Thanks so much, I think I'll start out simple and add a skimmer if I want to later.

Here's the site I'm working with. We are doing privacy fence soon, then my hope is to create a nice hang out space back here with the pond.

001.jpg

Back left corner is where I think the waterfall and bio filter should be.
002.jpg

We are going to tear out the beds back there.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice site there! I made my previous water fall out of a wiskey barrel with pea gravel and plants, put in a lower pipe to drain/flush it. It worked great.

A water weir with a filter would give you extra filtration, would just need to put it on your clean me list.

I use external pumps, he uses submersible pumps. That will be up to how you want to build it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have read here somewhere I believe that mosquito fish will eat up all your goldfish eggs so you may never have any babies to enlarge your family. So keep that in mind when adding certain fish to your pond. Also be careful on the plant shelves as if they are too shallow they will make a nice place for predators to stand in the water and catch your fish. The deeper your pond the better also so the fish can stay warm and hide from creatures. Everyone here is happy to help you w/ any questions so keep asking about anything and everything. It so helps to build it right the first time............take my word for it. I built my first one over some septic tank pipes and it had a big pipe hump in the middle. I left it that way for a few years and then I couldn't stand the thought of what if something needed to be fixed w/ the pipe under there. Fortunately we have very sandy soil so it was easy to dig a new pond in a better area. Happy pondering :lol:

rintintin

Erin
Reaction score
j.w said:
I have read here somewhere I believe that mosquito fish will eat up all your goldfish eggs so you may never have any babies to enlarge your family. So keep that in mind when adding certain fish to your pond. Also be careful on the plant shelves as if they are too shallow they will make a nice place for predators to stand in the water and catch your fish. The deeper your pond the better also so the fish can stay warm and hide from creatures. Everyone here is happy to help you w/ any questions so keep asking about anything and everything. It so helps to build it right the first time............take my word for it. I built my first one over some septic tank pipes and it had a big pipe hump in the middle. I left it that way for a few years and then I couldn't stand the thought of what if something needed to be fixed w/ the pipe under there. Fortunately we have very sandy soil so it was easy to dig a new pond in a better area. Happy pondering :lol:

I was just reading up more on the mosquito fish today and I found all the negatives to having them... my state doesn't recommend them like others, they recommend minnows so I think I'll look more into that. We are putting up a bat house though! That should help!

DrDave said:
It was my pond that was once overrun by them. I had to erradiacte all of them when I went into breeding Koi.

Over run by mosquito fish? Do you have any experience with rosy red minnows?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have sun like yours and it does wreak havoc with the water quality .I now provide some shade for my pond but it is mostly man made shade

rintintin

Erin
Reaction score
sissy said:
I have sun like yours and it does wreak havoc with the water quality .I now provide some shade for my pond but it is mostly man made shade

Well I think the privacy fence is going to help out with that. That picture was taken mid-day. The sun rises over the left corner of my yard in those pics, so in the morning the fence will shade it a little and then by 4 pm my garage shades most of the area.

rintintin

Erin
Reaction score
sissy said:
lucky you geeze I wish I had shade like that .LOL

I just hope it's not too much shade for the area, I have a feeling I'll be limited in plants that I can pick from!

What are the pond plants that are typical to start out with? Water lettuce, water lily's? What else?

Can anyone recommend a pump with around 2000+ gph flow?

Ask a Question