Tiers, and the circumference of the deepest part?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am a total novice and so please excuse so many questions.

I have begun digging a wildlife pond (so no fish). It will be about 2.20 m long and 1.60 m wide.

I understand that I need a wide shallow shelf around the circumference. How deep would you recommend this be?

I have seen on many sites that there should be another level after this one, but that would then leave such a small area for the deepest part.

So, given the size of the pond, should I make a second shelf?

And how large (circumference) should the deepest part be? You will see from the rainwater in the muddy puddle(!) how big that area would be in relation to the rest with a very narrow second shelf (shelves now very indistinct after the rain). The deep, rainwater part is only 50cm x60cm here and not even 40cm deep.
Please bear in mind that the muddy top ledge, edged by plants, is not part of the pond. [I am trying to make the pond level (on a slight slope) which is why I have cut slightly lower than the plants on that side.]

So, with deep part of only around 50 cm x 60 cms, a second shelf would have to be much narrower than the first. Is it worth it?

I am going to attach a photo of the rough initial dig of the pond. It is rather embarrassing as its appearance is even worse than yesterday with the overnight rain! It was with a mixture of amusement and dismay that I saw it this morning!

Thank you!

IMG_9785.jpg

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. Shelves are good for holding marginal plant pots that need shallower water or entering a deep pond for maintenance. Depending on your final goals and size of your pond they may not be necessary.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for your welcome and reply! It is to be a wildlife pond (no fish) of the size 2.30m x 1.60m.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
sunwelcome-1.gif
@KHBz
I don't have plants on my wildlife pond shelf and I only have one shelf. It's up to you if you have any #of shelves. I just use my shelf for rocks to hide the liner. All my plants are either in pots on bottom of pond or just floaters.

I don't have a filter, just a fountain w/a little filter thingy attached to the pump so that debris does not clog it. I did add a plastic pot to set the bottom of fountain/pump into and then wrapped some netting around the pump to help collect larger debris from entering. Works fine all year long now. Don't have to clean it off hardly ever.
Others here have them and use filters etc. and do things different so there will be many idea's for you to choose from and do as you like.
Birds and frogs love it and me too!

It's only about a foot deep, if that. I just had some extra liner to make it so not much liner around the edge as left over. More liner left would have been better but that's what I had. Any left over liner on the sides left you should keep and roll and hide under the dirt in case you need it later. Pond can settle etc. Here are some photo's from start to finish:

IMG_9923.JPG

IMG_9891.JPG

IMG_9890.JPG

IMG_9740.JPG

IMG_9738.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0554.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

I did make a net to cover it when the leaves fall from that big tree next to it. I take it off after the leaves are done falling:

IMG_9927.JPG

IMG_9917.JPG

You can't see the netting very well below but it's on there and later I did add plastic bars across it for more stability:

IMG_9916.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 160534 @KHBz
I don't have plants on my wildlife pond shelf and I only have one shelf. It's up to you if you have any #of shelves. I just use my shelf for rocks to hide the liner. All my plants are either in pots on bottom of pond or just floaters.

I don't have a filter, just a fountain w/a little filter thingy attached to the pump so that debris does not clog it. I did add a plastic pot to set the bottom of fountain/pump into and then wrapped some netting around the pump to help collect larger debris from entering. Works fine all year long now. Don't have to clean it off hardly ever.
Others here have them and use filters etc. and do things different so there will be many idea's for you to choose from and do as you like.
Birds and frogs love it and me too!

It's only about a foot deep, if that. I just had some extra liner to make it so not much liner around the edge as left over. More liner left would have been better but that's what I had. Any left over liner on the sides left you should keep and roll and hide under the dirt in case you need it later. Pond can settle etc. Here are some photo's from start to finish:

View attachment 160535

View attachment 160536

View attachment 160537

View attachment 160538

View attachment 160539

View attachment 160540

View attachment 160541

View attachment 160543

View attachment 160544

I did make a net to cover it when the leaves fall from that big tree next to it. I take it off after the leaves are done falling:

View attachment 160545

View attachment 160546

You can't see the netting very well below but it's on there and later I did add plastic bars across it for more stability:

View attachment 160547
Thank you! That's really helpful to know and see. It does look lovely. I'm also going to have a problem with leaf fall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Shelves are generally so that you can put marginal plants at a suitable depth for them to thrive and how many shelves you need depends on how many plants you plan on putting in the pond. A shelf on just one side will do fine if the primary purpose is to help wildlife that accidentally falls into get back out of it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Shelves are generally so that you can put marginal plants at a suitable depth for them to thrive and how many shelves you need depends on how many plants you plan on putting in the pond. A shelf on just one side will do fine if the primary purpose is to help wildlife that accidentally falls into get back out of it.
Thank you! I think I will just have one shelf on one side, then. The primary purpose is for wildlife, which of course means plants, but they will be there primarily for health of the pond and creatures.

Ask a Question