Type of Lili pads that bloom easier in shade?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hi Folks!

We have 2 ponds on our property. One is a 2 pond or more or less one pond one bog where the fish live in the bottom pond (both are 5x5x3) and the lilipads are in the upper pond. Our other pond is much larger (9x9x4) and just a single story pond where the lilipads and fish coincide. Now the 2 pond system the lilipads do great but they do not bloom. EVER. The other single story pond they bloom all the time. Both are shaded so we can't figure out why the one without the fish dont bloom unless they aren't living off the poop for fertilizer like the single story pond. At any rate I'd like to replace the lilipads in the upper pond with something that might bloom a little easier but I don't know what type would be preferable. We are in North Texas zone 8 if it matters. All our fish are Koi.

Appreciate any advice!

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Lilies like regular fertilizer to bloom so you may have answered your own question, given equal amounts of sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
I only get morning sun (3-4) hours and have had luck getting Hermine, Helvola and Little Sue to bloom. I do fertilize them with plant tabs every 2-3 months so if you aren't doing that already I would start with that before replacing them. I typically have 1-3 flowers at a time on each plant. Not near what I would get if they were in full sun, but they do bloom pretty consistently.

One thing to note is I've actually had a place sell me a "Helvola" that was actually a Mexicana. The Mexicana was bigger with flowers on stalks and a much more aggressive grower. The Helvola produced more flowers... Just something to watch out for when buying if you go that route.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Could it be the one pond is more over crowded with plants and depletes fertility too early in the season for a heavy feeder like a waterlily

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Could it be the one pond is more over crowded with plants and depletes fertility too early in the season for a heavy feeder like a waterlily
The upper pond only has the 2 water lillies and the bottom has no plants.

Ask a Question