Should I use a different type of media for my waterfall filtration?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hi Folks,

We've had this pond for about 10 years. The main filter is an Aqua 3000 and it does fine on its own but for the skimmer I put in this giant waterfall from pond digger that used lava rock as a filter. Unfortunately I wasn't diligent enough to leave the air pump on and now its super clogged with muck. Before I clean it out should I be looking at a different media other than the lava rock I have? I promise to leave the air pump on from now on regardless!!

The pond itself is 10x8x4

pulse-image-1648322942654.jpg
pulse-image-1648322952115.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used lava rock in my filter in AZ it worked fine. But did need to be rinsed. I would back flush mine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The advantage to lava rock is how porous it is creating tons of surface area for bacteria to grow on . when it gets old and has clogged while rinsing it off helps it will never be as effective as it once was. Many of your Mats and synthetic media are as effective and some even self clean. Mats not being one of those. Bioballs, media strads, k1 are fantastic for bacteria but do little in filtering

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
A couple of years ago I went with the circular matala filters. Easy to clean at the end of the season. You can get different densities. I went with the green so it wouldn't clog easily.

Biofalls filters (1).JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
Lava rock filter:

skippy (Copy).jpg

But you can't see the lava rock due to the plants. it's a half barrel planter, half full of lava rock. Water is pumped up from the bottom. Every spring, I toss 1 mabe 2 WH in it. In the fall, I scoop them out. As to the rocks themselves, I do nothing. Been doing that for about 4 years now, with no issues.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
ok I got all the lava rocks out. whew!

The new media will be here soon. I'm trying to decide if I can leave them in the net bags they come in or should they roam free and I have to put a barrier at the top to keep them from getting out?

pulse-image-1648586240589.jpg
pulse-image-1648586232983.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What type of new media? Leaving in mesh bags is probably fine unless you plan to fluidize it w/ aeration. Assuming that is not the case.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
ok new media is in! I bought 800 balls. each ball is 1.5 in in diameter. They say every 200 balls can clean 1000gallons. Our pond is about 2300 so I'm assuming even with 14 fish that should be enough along with my aqua ultima II 4000 filter on the bottom drain. I put the balls 400 each into 2 net bags and had to put a brick on each to keep them down. I could theoretically add in another 800 given the space in the waterfall but should I?

pulse-image-1648750945917.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I could theoretically add in another 800 given the space in the waterfall but should I?

How expensive is it? Maybe give it a season and see how things go. Good to know you can add more later if you need to.

And like all filters/media, the “can handle this many gallons” should usually be taken with a truckload of salt. Sounds like you have plenty, though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
How expensive is it? Maybe give it a season and see how things go. Good to know you can add more later if you need to.

And like all filters/media, the “can handle this many gallons” should usually be taken with a truckload of salt. Sounds like you have plenty, though.

it was almost 200 smackers. I'll probably hold off because the kids are complaining that was their "food" money

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I didn't like just putting bricks on top to keep the nylon bags down so I added this galvanized chicken wire
pulse-image-1648827762461.jpg

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Galvanized wire is usually zinc coated. While it is a small amount, if you could switch to some type of plastic it might be better. I use old bread racks cut to fit the barrels.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
Fluorescent light diffuser panels work well. Come 2' x 4', and are easy to cut to shape. They are made of plastic.

Ask a Question