water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Carolyn22 said:
. I think I would load up my bog with water iris and perhaps some type of cardinal flowers. I think it was Addy that had such beautiful pictures of her bog garden and I would have to ask her what gorgeous plants she had growing in her bog.

My cardinal flowers did not like the bog, they grew one year, dead the next. The cardinal flowers in the land bog, i.e. carnivorous bog, are doing great. It is wet peat moss and sand but not as wet as the pond bog. If you put them in the pond bog I would put them in a pot with some kitty litter with the crowns out of the water.

Day lilies, iris love the bog. Right now my obedience plant is blooming beautifully, purple flowers everywhere.

this is the spring view, day lilies

Here is the obedience plant (not really obedient)

DSC06323.JPG

I also have it growing along the side of the pond, mingled with the water mint and the lilies. It makes a huge mass of roots hanging down. The fish love the roots (they spawn in them)

DSC06325.JPG

I have found almost all the pond/bog plants will grow, spread take over, they all need to be groomed if you want control. This is the 5 foot deep area of the pond. The obedience plant wandered from the bog around the edge rocks. They love the flow of the shubbie tank waterfall. Growing like weeds there.

DSC06324.JPG

Reaction score
Addy - so very pretty. I did not know that dl's liked to grow in the bog. I love dls' as much as the other flowers. My gardens are full of them. I also have obedient plant and as you stated, they really are not very obedient - mine is white and about 3 feet tall.

I do have some Fried Green tomatoes cardinal flower and so far, so good, although it really does not seem to increase much and I would not be surprised if it disappeared altogether at some point in time.

Good suggestions about the pots in the bog - I do know that the dreaded water celery has jumped my bog and is now growing in my herb bed that I use for cooking. I am not too thrilled about that.

Thank you for sending the photos. My next pond, I will be doing my bog differently and I just love the way yours looks.

Carolyn

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The dl's grew so well I was able to plant a entire fence line with them, that was after one season. I have put in the normal dl's and rebloomers, both do great.
Marsh betony also does not behave, it jumps the bog, another plant I yank and toss when it gets going tooo good lol. Blue for get me not grows everywhere, easy to control just yank, love the flowers.
Water mint actually grows the least, the other plants over whelm it. Lizard tails just starting, pickerel weed is in a pot in the pond, mixed in with some iris. I also have iris in the bog, and other stuff lol.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I gave all my stuff away in NJ and only brought my grandfather clock and curio cabinet and clothes .Of course i had to bring hubby

Ask a Question