Rock or no rock on pond bottom>

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have had our pond for over 25 yrs. Have rocks on bottom over the rubber but it's a MESS TO CLEAN! We power wash everything every spring but the muck/sewer sludge build up is awful! I was always told that rock is essential for aesthetic purposes and for balancing the eco system but my husband has had it trying to clean out the mess!
The old rock has been pretty much taken out this spring... We're at the mindset to just leave them out for good.... Can I go rockless? Thanks

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. No rocks for me, too hard to clean all the leaves and small stick debris from my trees out. No power washing for me either; I let the algae/biofilm grow on the rubber and just net out the large debris. On the forum you will find some that use substrate and some don't, depends on their system and environment as to what works.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No rocks here either. My pond has a bottom drain so rocks would not work well in there.

Obviously, rocks are not necessary at all. Some people prefer the look of rocks. I would prefer to have none, even if there were no bottom drain. Much easier to vacuum if necessary and keep the bottom of the pond clean.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
purpleflowerwelcome.gif
@Music Mamma

No thanks to rocks in my pond! You can go rock-less for sure!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Rocks/gravel on the bottom is (for the most part) an aesthetic choice. Does it give additional surface area for beneficial bacteria to colonize on? Well, yes, but the bacteria will colonize on a liner or other pond surfaces as well. So to answer your question directly - No. It is not **necessary** (as is also evidenced by the above 'no gravel for me' answers from successful pond keepers).

That being said, I will never have a pond without gravel on the bottom. I love the look and do not in any way find it to increase my maintenance or be problematic when it comes to keeping things clean. I will admit that in my shallow upper pool area where there are no fish, some 'muck' can & does accumulate. It doesn't bother me much and gives the tadpoles something to munch on. In the main body of my pond where the fish live I don't ever get 'muck'. It simply doesn't build up. I do, obviously, have to use a net from time to time & scoop out large debris/leaves that might fall/blow in, but that's simple to do & the gravel doesn't hinder the process at all. I never vacuum it. My fish do spend considerable time munching around on the bottom, rearranging the gravel & stirring it up. Perhaps that's why nothing ever accumulates? I dunno, but here's a recent pic of some of my 'cleaning crew' and you can see below them what my gravel looks like. But if it's not working for you, then yeah, change things up a bit!
fish 01+.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I wonder if there could be a difference in keeping the gravel cleaner if you have a lot of nice big strong koi and not just goldfish? As perhaps koi can move that gravel around easier and keep things nice and tidy?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I wonder if there could be a difference in keeping the gravel cleaner if you have a lot of nice big strong koi and not just goldfish? As perhaps koi can move that gravel around easier and keep things nice and tidy?
That's more or less what I think might be the case. Koi spend a LOT of time moonching around & sucking on the gravel.

Ask a Question