1st ever pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have never had a pond before and have found some of the posts/ answers too detailed that I can't follow so please answer VERY simple. I have been given a electric pump and waterfall and a friend has dug a hole and we have just laid the pond liner in. I would like to get it all sorted this week, I was going to go and buy new filters as it hasn't been used for a year. I am intending to having plants only in not fish. Is it possible to buy an outdoor electric connector in the Uk so I can plug it in the garage after drilling a hole? The cable wouldn't be on the grass or anything as it would be secured to the fence. Anything else I need to consider before filling it? Judes

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome Judes.
You should use a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) outlet, or whatever the equivalent term is for the UK.

There are many other considerations before you fill the pond with water.
Can you post a picture of what you have so far?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome judes to our group.

Like Mitch says a picture will help a lot, makes it easier to understand what you are dealing with.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
"outdoor electrical connector". You mean extension cord? If so you could get one outdoor rated and run it through 1" (2.54cm) PVC pipe and paint it any colour you like.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Judes,

Welcome to the forum, ask as many questions as you like.

Please post a few pics, it will help us understand what you have and what is needed.

You have to be very careful with wiring in the garden. The main considerations are 1. Electrical safety. 2. Weatherproofing and 3. Protection against damage to the cable.
I recommend you consult an electrician and seek professional advice.

Ask a Question