2nd spawning in less than a month?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi all,

My female just laid more eggs today... This is the second time since April 14... not even a month apart! Is that usual? I thought the female spawn once or twice a year but with a few months apart (if so)?

It's pretty exciting but my poor female get chased so much! This is the first year I got a spawn so I just learned which is the female (only one female - 5 males).. poor girl. I hope it doesn't happen again. This happened in the morning so I didn't have time to separate her.

Anya

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I found some babies last week, and am still finding some much smaller ones. Oddly, most of the fry were found at one end of the pond, but today I spotted about 1/2 dozen more at the opposite end -- these little guys look like they are Shubunkins! So, guessing there have been several spawnings, but the Shubies chose a different neighborhood for their youngsters, LOL!

I, too, hope your girl gets a break! I have about 15 or 20 goldfish (different kinds), and have no idea which are girls or boys -- I didn't even pick up on any spawning behavior.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
koi will spawn over 3-4 weeks, off and on. goldies can spawn through out the summer. i had koi spawn 4 times in a month. spawn 2 days...again (1day) 4-5 days later, then maybe a week later. then like 10 days later.. just a couple hours... alot of koi spawns are missed cuz they start at or before sunup, and are usually done for the day by 10:00am.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks all :)

Koi guy, that made sense.. I thought they spawn once and done for a few months/year... kinda like guppy that have fry every 4 weeks or something ;)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My gf have been chasing for over a month now, we see them chasing a lot. I found some eggs in the 1000 gallon stock tank.

Reaction score
we have had the golfish spawn more than twice that we know of in the past couple weeks
and we have had the dace spawn at least once also - most of them seemed to have died after they spawn - not sure if thats normal or not...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
When the weather was warm for a few days mine were doing the spawn dance but now that it has cooled off again they are all just chillin. Hope I get some shubby be'be's from the bunch this year :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have only 1 female so it was a bit of a surprise to see more eggs, less than a month apart. A good thing but I'm hoping that she doesnt have to do the spawn dance too often. I might have to try to get more female but I have no clue how to look for.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My first Spring with just my 5 koi, after re homing the shubunkin and comet last fall. I THOUGHT I had all male koi, but apparently not! Noticed the three big ones circling the pond this morning and it appeared one was being chased but the other two. Arrive home later to froth all over the pound, fishy smell, lots of eggs in the algae and noticed shiny things on the bottom of the pond. Scooped them out and they were big scales:( One of the fish doing the chasing is really pink on the sides of it's body.....from loss of scales. Another chaser has missing scales.....and the one being chased is swimming near the bottom of the pond, so will look more closely when it's feeding time.

Did a water change. Hoping they aren't injured.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
They are ok, but still have missing scales and some healing scratches. The darkest thing was, they spawned the very next day....but a much smaller fish, who was faster and escaped much damage........and much less eggs / foam in the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
are you doing anything to safe the baby?

Glad they are ok now. Sounded like a rough play!

Ask a Question