addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The words "koi pond" have become a universal description of a garden pond.
Most people don't realize until it's too late that koi get huge, excrete an awful lot of waste and need a LOT of room.

So, to the question....how to keep a "koi pond" healthy.

At least 1,000 gallons for the first koi and 250-500 gallons for each additional koi.
You can buy a water counting device for around $20-$30 that screws onto your garden hose. Knowing you water volume comes in handy in the future.

If you don't have the room for an actual "koi pond", you should check out shubunkin. They are in the goldfish family, don't get too big, are colorful and have beautiful long flowing fins.

Patience! This is very important. Nothing happens overnight. It can take days or sometimes weeks for changes to happen.

Adequate filtration.

Lots and lots of plants.

Lots and lots of plants. Yeah, I repeated myself because we can't stress enough how plants are an intricate part of you pond's ecosystem.

Lots of water flow and aeration, especially surface agitation.

Never empty, scrub, powerwash or aggressively clean out the pond.
Every surface of your pond will grow an important biofilm on it. This helps the ecosystem with filtration.

Never use any chemicals....ever, especially algaecide. only dechlorinator if your home's water is treated.

Dont waste your money on store bought beneficial bacteria. Your pond will grow it's own.
The same for barley straw or barley extract. Not neccessary.

Don't overfeed.

Don't add too many fish. They will certainly multiply resulting in poor water quality due to overpopulation. Too much fish waste for your filter to handle.

Use either an EPDM liner or HDRPE. DO NOT USE A PVC LINER. The liner is the very base of your build and if you choose to use a cheap liner you will be taking everything apart very soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm honored for the mention!

I'm sure I forgot something. Anyone care to add anything?

I was trying to describe some things in layman's terms. Also trying to help others from my experiences and relay some of the things I've learned from the many helpful and friendly members here.

The term "koi pond" is used too commonly.
When I started this hobby, I didn't know any better either. I hope to educate people that are new to the hobby so they don't make the same mistakes I did early on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
lol I have always called mine just a pond.
I've said it before addy, how you inspired me to add the bog and I thank you for that. It was the best thing I did for the pond and me.

My pond hit the tipping point, as we call it. The fish kept multiplying and that was the cause of the green water. I had green water for the whole season of 2019. I built the bog in 2020 and the water has been amazingly clear and no more cleaning filters!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I found the videos on you tube before i found this forum. But once i did i had @addy1 MICH and another well rounded ponder who passed a week latter . i started reading their posts and that led to other members. I had planed a set up that was not the usual and it was recommended i not place the skimmer close to the waterfall. But from my many hours spent on the river and watching the current going up hill on the sides i knew i had a chance and it worked better than i had ever hoped. but there was other information i got here that was indispensable.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've said it before addy, how you inspired me to add the bog
When I built mine there was very little around about bogs. I was reading forums about massive ponds and how they filtered them. I have always used a bog type filter, but never built the best way and they were small.
After reading about the massive ponds and bogs, that was what got me building mine, against popular opinion at that time. I have never regretted it! Even with being told it would never work.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Nice job @poconojoe ! I enjoyed it when you posted it and enjoyed reading it again just now, nodding the whole time.

If I were going to list things in order of importance it would be:

1. Keep your fish load low.low.low. Figure out how many fish you CAN have and have LESS.
2. Add as much filtration as you can reasonably manage. And make it a big ole bog if you really wanna have fun!
3. Plants plants and more plants AND grow them right IN the pond. Not just pots sitting here and there. I always chuckle when someone lists their plants "I have one of these and 1 of those and 1 of that". If you can count how many plants you have, YOU NEED MORE.
4. Patience. The first year or two may be challenging, but just wait. If you've done all the above, one day, like magic, your pond will be clear. But - PATIENCE.
5. Manage your pond as little as possible. If you are doing it right, it should need very little from you at all. Be a gardener, not a chemist or an engineer in a water treatment plant. If your pond creates more stress than relaxation and joy, then you're doing it wrong.

One last thing I would add - figure out before you start what kind of pond you want to have. If you want a lovely eco- pond where the plants and fish add to the beauty of your garden and attract other wildlife, insects, birds, etc, then build that pond. If you're aiming to be a koi keeper where the emphasis is on the fish, then you need a whole other kind of pond. As you said @poconojoe "koi pond" is kind of the catch-all term that everyone uses for any pond. Like calling every tissue a "Kleenex".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Nice job @poconojoe ! I enjoyed it when you posted it and enjoyed reading it again just now, nodding the whole time.

If I were going to list things in order of importance it would be:

1. Keep your fish load low.low.low. Figure out how many fish you CAN have and have LESS.
2. Add as much filtration as you can reasonably manage. And make it a big ole bog if you really wanna have fun!
3. Plants plants and more plants AND grow them right IN the pond. Not just pots sitting here and there. I always chuckle when someone lists their plants "I have one of these and 1 of those and 1 of that". If you can count how many plants you have, YOU NEED MORE.
4. Patience. The first year or two may be challenging, but just wait. If you've done all the above, one day, like magic, your pond will be clear. But - PATIENCE.
5. Manage your pond as little as possible. If you are doing it right, it should need very little from you at all. Be a gardener, not a chemist or an engineer in a water treatment plant. If your pond creates more stress than relaxation and joy, then you're doing it wrong.

One last thing I would add - figure out before you start what kind of pond you want to have. If you want a lovely eco- pond where the plants and fish add to the beauty of your garden and attract other wildlife, insects, birds, etc, then build that pond. If you're aiming to be a koi keeper where the emphasis is on the fish, then you need a whole other kind of pond. As you said @poconojoe "koi pond" is kind of the catch-all term that everyone uses for any pond. Like calling every tissue a "Kleenex".
Nice follow up!
I like the idea that if you can count your plants, you need more. That's genius.

Ask a Question