A very still fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here's my situation. About a 1000 gallon lined water garden with waterfall and two aeration units. Maybe 25 or so fish.....too many I know but they have been doing fine for over 3 years. However, now one is not moving real well. It lies still on a rock. When you approach it tries to get to the surface, but struggles with frantic back and forth tail wags. Really vigorous. Then after a while it lies down on the rock and does not move for hours. Meanwhile all the other fish are swimming around having a jolly good time. What could this be? I guess the first thing to do is TEST THE WATER!

thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
TEST THE WATER

You got it!

Also remember that we hear all the time "I've had these same fish in this same pond for years and they've been fine" all the time - the thing is, they AREN'T the same fish... they grow! They require more food and oxygen (and space) and produce more waste. So fish that have done fine for years may suddenly start to struggle. Very common issue.

Welcome to the GPF by the way - we'd love to see photos of your pond, and in particular of the fish the is struggling. Pictures are very helpful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi and welcome! It's never a good sign when you see a fish not moving. Something is wrong with it and unless you intervene it probably will not last a long time. Do you have a quarantine tank? It would make sense to set one up and move the fish there to both treat the fish and keep any possible disease from spreading.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-10-16_9-38-7.gif
@veryfishy

Ask a Question