Above ground bog material

Jagsfan

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I'm currently planning an above ground bog for my existing pond. My biggest question is what to make it out of. Originally I was thinking of using wood. Either 4x4's or building a frame out of 2x4's (4x4 corners) and wrapping it in plywood. Then I thought maybe wood isn't the best choice since over time it will inevitably start to rot and need to be replaced. Then I thought of using cinder blocks. Stronger material and wont rot. My initial thought with that was to level the ground and put 12x12 concrete pavers down as a base to build the block wall, but everything I'm seeing is saying that I need to pour a concrete footer and probably at least 2' deep at that. Do i really need to pour a footer for a 3 block high wall (24")? Am i overthinking using wood? if its pressure treated and not in contact with the ground, it SHOULD last a long time. I'm trying to avoid digging. The bog is going behind a retaining wall above and behind the pond. My yard is nothing but shale rock with a sprinkle of actual dirt mixed in. As always... Thoughts and advice is a much appreciated. Thank you!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi, I don’t know much about this subject — sorry — but I do know that you will be dealing with a lot of weight and a lot of pressure: water is heavy and gravel is heavy. Based on things I’ve read in the past, most people recommend a very SOLID frame for an above-ground pond/bog. There have been other threads on here where people have used wood, but I don’t recall details, just that it was very well reinforced with bolts/screws, something like that. As to using cinderblock, reinforcement is equally important: think using rebar.

Others will be able to give you better advice.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
the 24" isn't so much needed in the thickness of the footing but it is probably needed to get below the frost line. though i am unaware what your frost line depth is .
BUT YOU ARE RIGHT IF YOU WANT IT TO LAST YEARS GO CONCRETE. and block is the easiest way to go for a dyi project. you can easily get away with a 12" or 8 inch thick footing with a couple rebar in it and then build with block . but yes 24 inches down 8 inches thick then start building with block from there but you'll want to use 8x8x16 and every other has a rebar set into the footing about 4 inches and that runs up 2 inches shy of the final height. then once done pour the bays with concrete and round your edges including the 90 degree hard inside corner from the wall to the footing with a little mortar you can find similar here scroll down way down untill you see the blue tarp
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/showcase/gbbudds-12-000-gallon-koi-pond-full-build-and-layout.141/

++

Jagsfan

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
@GBBUDD - Thank you. I think if I need to dig that deep to pour a footer, i might as well just dig it all out and have it be inground. Guess the digging bar and shovel are coming out to play.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i had to go that deep in virginia i believe your 18 to 24"

Ask a Question