sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
the mulch rocks and the way the weathered wood is placed over and along side the stream

Reaction score
yeah it is really cool, i think it would be even cooler if the fish were able to swim up into the stream and you could see them swimming as you walk up the walkway, but i would be worried that they would jump out

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
laughing, my goldies never jumped out of the stream in az, but koi are different and a little crazier.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks for the comments. I get the weathered wood from the river (driftwood) and feel that it gives it a little more realistic look and feel. I just put down the mulch last weekend so that is why it is still so black. The next time I rebuild the pond I think I will add the stream where part of it is at the same level as the pond, who knows when that will be. I don't have very many pictures on here yet of the entire pond, I plan on doing a short video and also putting on more pictures. I have some more located in the pictures section of the forum under My pond photos.

Reaction score
Hahah addy i have had a goldfish jump through a 1 inch hole in my aquarium and get roasted by the light because he landed right under it that poor guy and only a couple hours after I bought him and yeah i do like the driftwood it gives me a few ideas but I heard that driftwood alters water ph is that true? And yeah I think if you added apart the fish can get into it would be amazing

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Driftwood can alter the ph, lower it. I had some beautiful fish store bought driftwood in my ciclid tank in az, the water turned cloudy the ph dropped. I have wood near mine, but not in the pond.

He was new and looking for his old tank buddies talal lol

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
my ph starts below 6 (well) but it is great for my carnivorous bog plants!

Reaction score
i guess it depends on what you plan to keep in the pond, seeing as how im planning on goldfish and 3-4 koi, i also plan on a few water plants so i think i like to keep that ph

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i have to get mine up for the fish, added crushed oyster shells and baking soda, it has been stable for about a month now, well since it melted and I could test it. The pond bog plants like the higher ph, i have separate bogs for the carnivorous plants, those I keep the ph low for.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
taherrmann4 said:
I currently have only one piece in the pond and it has had no effect on my ph.

It may depend on the wood too taherrmann, I really don't know. I know in my fish tank it really affected it.

We just have such low ph naturally need to make sure I do nothing that will make it go lower.

Ask a Question