aeration

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I currently have 2 aquaescape aerator discs in the shallow part of my pond. I’m thinking about adding 2 more disc and putting those at the bottom. So that would be 4 in total if I do that. Is that a good idea to do and have all year round or only in the summer? Or if the fish have been fine with how it’s been for over a year, should I just leave it be??? Help

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Melott Can you update us about your pond? You can never have too much aeration, during any season, but it’s going to be hard saying if you have too much or not. You are in the Southern US, right?
  • How big is it, what kind of filtration do you have?
  • Do you have fish and if so, how many and what kind?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
depends on how cold your water gets in the winter .You live farther south than I do but this past winter was a hard one .I raised my airstones to with in 6 inch's from the top of the water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We live down the street from you (figuratively) and run our two air pumps year around. Let’em run! Your fish will appreciate it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hello I have about a 60 gallon pond that gets full sunlight. So I get algae. I have 4 fan tail goldfish in there with a floating pond filter, with uv clarifier, and fountain. The 2 aeration disc and plants. I live I believe in zone 7 I’m at the top of SC by the boarder of Charlotte NC

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Whoa! 60 gallons with two aigstones should be enough. I'm not sure I'd add any more! But are you sure this pond is 60 gallons? I'm not sure how a 60 gallon pond could have a "shallow part".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I believe so. The shallow part is two shelves at the ends. The pond is 18inches deep.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Please take a few pictures for us. Yeah, that sounds like it’s more than 60 gallons! That’s why I asked how big it was — 4 airstones in my 3000 gallon pond is totally different situation with a much smaller pond. Get a pond thermometer and see what the water temp. is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Picture from last summer

Attachments

• E83C397C-9EB8-48F6-8D35-835CD1D27531.jpeg
    E83C397C-9EB8-48F6-8D35-835CD1D27531.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 173
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well can there be too much aeration in a pond?

The simpler answer might be no - aeration at any level won't bother the pond itself. But if you have fish in the pond, they may get stressed and some pond plants (lilies for example) prefer stiller water. So in the sense of a complete pond, you can indeed have too much aeration. (As I always told my kids "too much" speaks for itself - too much is too much!)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I agree with @sissy, @Mmathis and @Lisak1 , it is possible for a pond to have too much aeration (during the winter).
Aeration is excellent for providing circulation and equalizing gasses with the ambient air, when exposed to it.
I tried strong aeration this past winter in my 5 foot deep pond.
The result was ice formation between 3 and 4 feet deep because of the heat loss from aeration and my pond was still covered with ice for more than 5 months where no meaningful gas exchange took place.
You need to consider many factors when considering 4 season management for your pond.

Ask a Question