Aerators

Reaction score
A few weeks back I posted a thread on string algae problems, it was getting out of hand, choking my plants. I also had some floating algae that would float up during the day and sink back down when the sun cooled off. I was blaming my algae on the broiling hot sun.

Just for kicks I bought a $30 aerator put in the pond. I enjoyed watching it bubble. It helped a bit with the floating algae because it was moving the water. Moved it around anyways.

In a week, I thought is there less algae? In two there was less. In three weeks it was gone. At 6 weeks no more floating algae. Tonight I was in the pond and was amazed at how easy it was to walk around, the slippery fuzzy stuff isn't on the bottom any more.

Wow! Right?!?!?!

I am HOPING that my water hyacinths will take off now that there is significant less algae. I will keep you updated on the hyacinths. I know you wait with bated breath

Reaction score
I'm sure I have read it on here, but my short term memory is terrible. So other than circulating the water adding more oxygen to it ...... no I don't.
I am the same way about learning stuff here and knowing I need to do this for the good of all fish kind and then it is all locked away and I don't have the science at the tip of my fingers. I should make notes in my binder why I do stuff.

Reaction score
The algae thrives on ammonia, primarily, as well as other things like nitrate, phosphorus, and even nitrite if it is desperate. The bacteria, nitrosomonas, nitrobacter, and nitrospira, that process ammonia and nitrite need high levels of dissolved oxygen in the water in order to process them efficiently. Before you added the aerator, the algae was winning the nutrient war with the bacteria, since the algae dont need the oxygen nearly as much as they need Sun. So when you added the aerator, you allowed the benificial bacteria to pump up their growth rate and multiplication rate and consumption rate, outcompeting the algae for the nutrients in the pond.

Reaction score
The algae thrives on ammonia, primarily, as well as other things like nitrate, phosphorus, and even nitrite if it is desperate. The bacteria, nitrosomonas, nitrobacter, and nitrospira, that process ammonia and nitrite need high levels of dissolved oxygen in the water in order to process them efficiently. Before you added the aerator, the algae was winning the nutrient war with the bacteria, since the algae dont need the oxygen nearly as much as they need Sun. So when you added the aerator, you allowed the benificial bacteria to pump up their growth rate and multiplication rate and consumption rate, outcompeting the algae for the nutrients in the pond.

I'll read that a few times, see if I can wrap my mind around it.

Wonder if that would help in a small 'water garden' 35 gall, I have a couple of guppies in there and some plants. There's a pump circulating the water, but no bio filter to speak of. I have some quilt batting wrapped around the pump so it doesn't suck up anything too big.

The problem I am having is the frogs keeping laying eggs in there, so lots of tadpoles. They are greedy messy things! Ever since they appeared a few weeks back the pond is getting algae in it, lots of it. The tads are also eating my duck weed (bastards!!).

You think if I drop an air stone in there it would help?

I just put a cichlid fish in there today to deal with the tads, so sick of them!

Reaction score
Forget that. Floating algae back. Its hot as hell out there and the sun is out of control.

I need a second bio filter, maybe that will help. I have a pump and planning to buy some PVC pipe and joints to make one of those bakki showers.

Reaction score
There is an airstone/aerator in there (are they the same thing)?

I bought a new pump (1900GPH pond is 2200), I plan to run water through another bio filter (bakki shower). With the two pumps running that will almost double my circulation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
There is an airstone/aerator in there (are they the same thing)?

I bought a new pump (1900GPH pond is 2200), I plan to run water through another bio filter (bakki shower). With the two pumps running that will almost double my circulation.
I'd love to see your electric bill next year Priscilla they dont half burn electric water pumps besides you dont need that much circulation on your pond

Dave

Reaction score
I'd love to see your electric bill next year Priscilla they dont half burn electric water pumps besides you dont need that much circulation on your pond

Dave

I think in this heat I might. Regrettably I don't have a skimmer, that might have helped with the floating algae. I thought about buying a floating one, but it seems they are not perfected yet, so I think another filter is the way to go. I am thinking about some type of shower tower because they seem pretty easy to build with PVC pipe.

With my current pump (2200GPH), UV and Aerator, I haven't noticed a difference in my bill (keeping in mind its already super high).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You could build a skimmer Priscilla just Google how to build one :-

Dave

Last edited:

Ask a Question