j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ha Ha very happy for you again! Sorry you lost your tree but hey..................maybe that means more sun shining down on your lovely spot by the pond?
You don't want a rotten tree anyways standing there waiting to fall on someone. Just plant a nice new one w/ pretty blossoms. I love the Magnolia blooms we get at our rental property...................just wish we had this nice tree at our own home. Only thing is they can make a big mess if near a pond!

IMG_1699.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Very nice indeed j.w. will have to chat with Jeff about that as its in his part of the garden.
Asa matter of nterest I took a pond temperature reading to veriy the pond thermometer with our hand held infrared thermomter and it came ot at 3.6c fo the ponds temperature strangly the other half of the pond thermometer reads 9.5c and I kmow thats not wrong so we must have a problem with the remote somewhere perhaps its got water in the works , if thats the case then I'll have to pull it out dry it out then seal everything i can with sealant or perhaps scrap it for a new one :(
The covers are now back on for the night will take them off again in the early part of the afternoon after my hospital appointment which I arrived a day early for this morning ( and they say morphine addles your brain )..... Embarrased slightly"yes" but they cant say that I wasnt keen :D

Dave ;)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We lost some nice mature trees, going to replace them with some babies to grow and be nice and mature later. Beautiful tree jw!

Glad it is slowly warming for you there Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Better still addy all this good weather is helping Val in he recovery at the same time .
There are only three trees left now , our apple tree our willow, yukka and our concerete tree???? yes you heard me right :) , you see its an old concerete washing line post made of metal and concerete, we stopped using the line years ago :(
tumbling our clothes dry is easier for us:)
Well over the years Ivy took over the ghead of it and its grown out from the crow until your left with a thing that looks just like a tree.
All the small song birds either roost or nest in there so why destroy their home :( not us , they can live there forever and raise their little families , being a female it flowers so we get lots of bees wasps Red Admiral butter flies etc so nobody is short of food either:)

Dave ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a wooded area but most of the preditors use those areas i;e magpie, crow, aven , owl , perigrin falcons and bussards so its nice they can have an unpenetaterable roost to live in we even have a pair of wood pigeons in there .:)
We see bats in the summer and we are only 2 mile from the city centre which is itself very green as are other areas throughout Plymouth and districts :)
Today is a tad cooler as we have fog covering much of the UK , it may burn off , we'll see and if it does we can sit out again .
Weve been following news repotrts these last few days of a Great White shark that is naking its way up towards us after swimming over the misd atlantic ridge , it's the first ever tagged and recorded doing so .
There have been reports of sightings hese last few years but up until now there has been no evidence it was one :(

Dave;)

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Stay out of the water Dave
I wish we could have all those nice birds you have in your yard but we have 2 cats and one is a good hunter even w/ all the bells on her collar. I added more a couple days ago :(
The cats can't leave our yard but the birds keep coming looking for bugs and worms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We lost a tree to the storms j.w. they felled the remainder of it after the other half was blown down into our next door neighbours garden , we have two cats the birds know to stay out of the way if they are out .
They say great white is now headed to Iceland (phew)
Sadly two wood pigeons lost their home when that tree came down :( but I'm hoping there may be room for them in the concrete tree (y), they lost young to the magpies more often than not in that tree :mad:
Weve had a bit of rain since and its too cold to be sat out when its sunny due to a cold snap:(

Dave

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sorry about the tree and the birds that made it their home. Hope they come back to the other one. Magpies sound similar to crows in their murdering ways. They snatch baby birds all the time. We may hit 61f tomorrow.................yahoo! Hope the warmth comes back your way soon.............I'm sure it will

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We lost a huge crab apple tree, the birds loved to nest in it. Stay out of the water, those great whites hurt!
We are way colder than normal today, but 60's this weekend.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
What a difference a few days make last nights air temperature dropped to 1c here in Plymouth dropping the pond temperature to 11,9c thankfully we have rain and cloud cover tonight which will bring things back upwards again nd man has it rained :(

Dave

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You get a nice free fresh up w/ the rain water for you pond anyways.................other than that the rain irritates me to no end here

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Covers came off and outside we went having a lovely time by the pond then we heard a noise and a chap was stood by the door who we didnt at first recognise .:):LOL:(y)
It turned out to by an old friend who was in Plymouth for the days had thought hey you know I've not sen Dave and Val for a while wonder if they still live where I last know they did .
So that brought an end to the afternoon.;)
Phil left the next morning vowing to visit again soon :cooL:

Dave

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Always nice to see a long lost friend pop in for a visit. You will have more nice days by the pond soon:)

Ask a Question