Alpine planting in rocks on margins

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Has anyone planted alpine plants like Saxifraga on the margins by essentially building a miniature rock garden? I just received one saxifraga today, and while it's a great plant, in clay it is as good as death after a month, it can't handle wet soil, at least that has been my experience. And in rocks it just looks natural, my natural idea of course is just creating a little void space held by rocks on the margins, plant the saxifraga in between and fill in with gravel. This is what they do typically anyway, but I am wondering if anyone's done this on the pond margins.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yes, we've done something like that along our main waterfall. Tried Lewisia, but that wasn't happy & failed to thrive. We've had good luck with ice plant & sedum.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Has anyone planted alpine plants like Saxifraga on the margins by essentially building a miniature rock garden? I just received one saxifraga today, and while it's a great plant, in clay it is as good as death after a month, it can't handle wet soil, at least that has been my experience. And in rocks it just looks natural, my natural idea of course is just creating a little void space held by rocks on the margins, plant the saxifraga in between and fill in with gravel. This is what they do typically anyway, but I am wondering if anyone's done this on the pond margins.
Read online about it and appears to need some shelter from the hot sun. Grows best in zones 5 to 7. Sure is pretty and some have really cool looking leaves. I'd get the short version and put them around my smaller frog pond and maybe in the shaded parts of my fish pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Yes, we've done something like that along our main waterfall. Tried Lewisia, but that wasn't happy & failed to thrive. We've had good luck with ice plant & sedum.
Been a week almost, I removed 90% of the soil and planted that Saxifraga the same day, a day after I found it drooping, watered it and next day it was back to normal. So it seems they can certainly handle it, it's just about it getting proper water. My planting of it though is not a crevice, it's just like between rocks, so I think until it roots itself in i'll have to water.

Ask a Question