ANYONE HAVE A 300 GAL STOCK TANK POND?

Reaction score
Hi Jeff. I actually dont have a 300 gallon stock tank but that doesnt really matter. First we need to know what your plans are. Where are you from? Are you going to bury the tub? What kind of fish do you want to put in it? How much maintenance are you willing to do? How much Sun will the tub get during the day? What is your budget? Do you want to buy a ready made filter or build your own? All of these things and more have bearing on how many fish you can keep, what kind of filter you need, how many gallons per hour your pump should flow, how many plants you might want, if you need aeration etc etc etc. In general, I would not suggest keeping any Koi in a tub of that size. I would bury it to keep the temperature more stable. You could put about 6 goldfish in there and expect a manageable amount of maintenance. Do not add all of the fish at once. Read up on the nitrogen cycle of a pond. I would suggest about 600 gallons per hour worth of pump but this is really all just generic info based on nothing at the moment.

Reaction score
I had planed on doing my tank indoors in my office under the south facing window with a UV light if needed. There was a small filter system i saw on line that i believe did 450 gal an hour but I believe they have one that also does 600. I really had my heart set on some Koi and would be disappointed if I couldn't. Don't have much more room indoors for anything bigger and wouldn't feel good about putting an above ground pond outdoors with the winters we've been having in Springfield, IL

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
koi get very large and also put out a lot of waste my 300 gallon stock tank has 1 shubbie and a couple of tint goldfish .I have an external tank filter i got for free and 575 gph pump that part goes to filter and part I have clamped to the side of the pond splashing water into the pond and since i had an extra air outlet on my air pump I put an air stone in there .It is out doors

Reaction score
Jeff I think that between here and Koiphen at least half a dozen people have said don't get koi. They will become 2 to 3 feet long. Each adult koi needs about 300 gallons of water. What this means is that you can keep some koi just fine for now but at some point down the road, after you have become attached to them, you will have to get rid of them, build a bigger pond, perform a tremendous amount of maintenance, or right their death. You will be fine with a few Koi while. How long, can't say.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Welcome to the never ending hobby! The biggest thing I had indoors was about 300 gal. I built it myself out of slab glass about 30 years ago. It was in use for about 10 years(finely got tired of cleaning it) and I had every thing in it that was big including an electric eel(don't ever pet one). I had koi in it at first with Orandas, lion heads, water bubble eye, and black Moors.
The Koi are very active, but they were small when I put them in. The better you are at water management the better luck you will have. I started with about 10 Koi and they were the first to go to the outside pond, as they grow quickly.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I find the waste they produce is my biggest hassle from them .The size of mine scare me now .i just hope 4000 gallons is enough for them .

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I have a 800g pond and I have 5 koi in them right now (all under 6 inches) and I don't feed a lot.

I think it's possible to have small koi in a 300g tank but you will need to have very good filtration of the home built variety.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
All my ponds are outdoor and support fish using the one inch of fish per 10 gallons of water in the pond approximation. I run about 500 gallons a day through 10 small ponds, which average 3000 to 4000 gallons, instead of filtering, which keeps the water clear and oxygenated.
On a new pond I put one five gallon and four one gallon potted water plants in right away. I put three fingerlings in a day till I have about twenty. In a 12 by 20 pond they grow fast. The pond will reach equilibrium in a month. The fingerling Koi double in size in 60 days. I have found no amount of filtration to work better. In a year the sediment begins to stabilize the bottom. In about two years you can begin to place plants directly in the sediment using weights. I do have a very large filter(see Pics), but I have yet to have to use it for a crashed pond.

I have yet to talk my significant other into this method, as she likes to walk bear foot in her ponds and vacuum the bottoms. I work with mother nature, which seems more natural. She also looses more fish than I do.:cool:

Attachments

• IMAG1132.jpg
    IMAG1132.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 605
  • IMAG1133.jpg
    IMAG1133.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 661

Ask a Question