Are there any floating plants that survive winter?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Here are a few of my favorite gator pictures from 2 years ago. You can see the marshmallows the guides throw in the water to get them to come close in the 3rd picture.

g1.JPG
g2.JPG
g3.JPG
g4.JPG
g5.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
John, it IS possible to save water hyacinths over the Winter, if you're willing to spend a little time with them. I have saved a batch of mine for the past two Winters, and have some started already this year. I use a 3-40 gallon tub with an aerator, four 4' fluorescent lights (6500k), and a cap full of fertilizer every couple weeks. I keep about 15-20 plants going over the Winter, and get them outside in early June. It's certainly a lot cheaper than paying $5/plant around here!

Reaction score
Water Soldier was in interesting one i tried a couple of years ago. It floats in the summer and sinks to the bottom in the fall only to resurface again in the spring. It got to large for my pond so I ended up composting it, but it was something different that I didn't have to fuss with. It's considered and evasive species in some areas, but it might be worth a try if you can get it and have the space.

Steve

Ask a Question