Bad bad koi! Digging up lilies!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What do you do to keep koi from uprooting your lilies?? I have one I have replanted 3x! Ty

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I plant my lilies with one big rock (like softball size) in the middle of the pot to hold them down. The fish can pick around the edges, but they can't move the big rock. Within a few weeks the roots are holding the plant in the pot and I'm lucky if I can get it out!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sorry, can't help as I don't have koi, but I know a lot of Koi owners who give up on having plants in with the fish. Maybe you'll get some good suggestions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I plant my lilies with one big rock (like softball size) in the middle of the pot to hold them down. The fish can pick around the edges, but they can't move the big rock. Within a few weeks the roots are holding the plant in the pot and I'm lucky if I can get it out!

I've used a big rock and a bunch of rocks...my pond (I think) is muddy from all their routing around. It actually was clear (from green) for about 3 days...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We had an old pond guy tell us that well fed koi won't bother eating your plants. I don't know if it's true, but ours have never given us any trouble in that regard.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use a plastic fence material over my lily pots. The lilies can grow up thru it but the koi can't get in. Here is the link form Lowes-
Blue Hawk Poultry Green HDPE Extruded Mesh (Common: 25-ft x 3-ft; Actual: 25-ft x 3-ft)

Item # 157764 Model # 090786

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sorry, can't help as I don't have koi, but I know a lot of Koi owners who give up on having plants in with the fish. Maybe you'll get some good suggestions.
Omg...I love the lilies..these were yesterday
I use a plastic fence material over my lily pots. The lilies can grow up thru it but the koi can't get in. Here is the link form Lowes-
Blue Hawk Poultry Green HDPE Extruded Mesh (Common: 25-ft x 3-ft; Actual: 25-ft x 3-ft)

Item # 157764 Model # 090786

A friend just decided to try this. He showed me the mesh he got (Menards), it's blue but I thought the holes looked a bit small for the lilies to come through but he feel it will work! I'm excited! Of course since I used dish pans for my hardy lilies, I will have to drill holes to zip tie the mesh but it would sure be worth it! Ty

Attachments

• 20160825_104939.jpg
    20160825_104939.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 371

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Good luck.
When I repot my lilies with new kitty litter topped off with rocks, the koi spend the next weeks removing the rocks and kitty litter. :) They never damage the lily tubers or pads, they just love to root around in the pots. It's just a game we play. I put the soil in the pots and they remove it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Good luck.
When I repot my lilies with new kitty litter topped off with rocks, the koi spend the next weeks removing the rocks and kitty litter. :) They never damage the lily tubers or pads, they just love to root around in the pots. It's just a game we play. I put the soil in the pots and they remove it.

Have you tried no soil, just rocks? I've potted a few that way, but haven't been thrilled with the results. They grow but don't flourish, I think mainly because there's really no good way to fertilize them and keep it in the pot!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@Lisak1 , yes, I did try just rocks and was also not happy with the results. Went back to using kitty litter last year and the lilies are doing much better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Have you tried no soil, just rocks? I've potted a few that way, but haven't been thrilled with the results. They grow but don't flourish, I think mainly because there's really no good way to fertilize them and keep it in the pot!

No, I asked the pond guy I have become friends with about that, he told me basically what you said, they might grow but won't do well. I think I asked about sand but I imagine that could be a mess to!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Good luck.

I wouldn't mind that it's just mucking up the pond water!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I wouldn't mind that it's just mucking up the pond water!
@Jeanie master if it is the plant dirt, it will settle eventually. Like you said, getting in and stirring things up will make it take longer, but it will settle. You could try some koi clay - that acts as a flocculant (basically attaches itself to the floating particles and pulls them to the bottom) and may help clear the water. It's also really good for your fish! (I know... one more thing to learn about, right?!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
....yet another language hitch on a post above, it states that lilies are planted in a 'dish pan'....could you please clarify! Thanks :)

Ask a Question