Best filter material.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pond is approx 5000 gal, goldfish only. Have 2 smaller Filters with uv, and then my main pump goes to a 55 gal drum, 1/2 the water goes to waterfall, rest to a 40 gal drum, then to waterfall. Have not had a problem, but age is making it harder to clean filters. Need a good filter material that would be easier to use, hopefully in some sort of pads. What is a good recommendation. Pond this winter froze and thawed 5 separate times (live in Central NY), and luckily lost no fish. Thanks

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
You are looking for a different filter material to put in the drum filters? What are you using now?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Using mainly quilt batting...
Quilt batting clogs quickly. If you want something better try Matala pads. I use them in an extra pot edge filter. You can cut them to fit.
When the pot gets full of crud it overflows so I know it's time to clean. Not as good as a bog but if that's what you choose it's better than quilt batting.
Pot has a hole in bottom where the strained water runs out. It's not my only filter. I like the green media density best. https://webbsonline.com/Category/Matala-Filter-Media-Category Other places like Amazon prolly carry it also.
IMG_8687.JPG

IMG_9872.JPG

IMG_9887.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I run a green ontop of the blue inside the shower

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use lava rocks and those blue reusable furnace filters for more years than I can remember .I put the lava rock in a stock tank and filters in a flat bread crate I got . You can see the kind of reusable filters on my pond sight here / lowes sell them

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
And the point we make here many things will work some better than others some others needing more maintenance than others. It's the same working principles that matter the most. And most of all in my opinion is to be observant and attentive to needs of your pond when you see them . I know some in the aquarium trade who even keep notes when they do anything like fertilize or water changes etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is there such a thing as the best filter media?

I use everything from ceramic media, to K1, to matala pads to kitchen scrubbies. They all seem to work.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
as @WaterGardener said a filter can be made many ways . Some are more efficient than are others. While it may not be the easiest to maintain or needs the most attention . You may have a more efficient design in the pond that requires less effort on the filter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks everyone. Ordered some matala to use. The quilt batting works, just getting difficult to take out of the barrels, and clean so many pieces - its tuff getting old, and not ready to fill in the pond. What ever helps making it easier is the way I want to go.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks everyone. Ordered some matala to use. The quilt batting works, just getting difficult to take out of the barrels, and clean so many pieces - its tuff getting old, and not ready to fill in the pond. What ever helps making it easier is the way I want to go.
look into bead filters or a bog

Ask a Question