Best LED lights?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I'm trying to finalize my equipment for a new pond 8x10 3 feet deep and I'm stuck on lighting.

I like these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

But the reviews aren't encouraging. Looks like the photocell is an issue. I would rather turn it off if possible.

Others I'm considering:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

A little expensive but if its going to be reliable.

Final choice so far:

http://www.thepondoutlet.com/home/tpo/page_15513_320/advanced_led_pond_lights_by_pond_force.html

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to illuminate 2 waterfalls and the pond itself at night.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I would just go to home depot or lows and pickup the brightest solar power lights you can get and go from there. No wiring! They have a 6X that puts out enough light so as to not be called a dim.

They have 100s of styles. Some are spendy but you can get what you want.

studiovette

GS PETE
Reaction score
texmaster said:
Appreciate the review. Can you bypass the light sensor?

It's actually a photocell but couldn't remember the term when I originally posted. I'm sure it would be done for it to run all the time but not sure why you would want to do that. I think that feature is cool since its like an automatic timer almost. Honestly I could care less if they stayed on all the time. They burn a couple watts each. I have changed all my outdoor lighting to LEDS over the last month or so and also most of my house. Over 50 bulbs. It was a pretty big expense but noticed a huge drop in my electric bill already so its gonna pay off. Plus I will never have to change a bulb for another 10-25 years LOL

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I might suggest just putting the transformer on a switched outlet. That way you can turn it off at night. There is no point in turning them on during the day as you will not see them.

Unless they have improved the light to light connection I would not go back to non solar lights. But that is me.

Reaction score
I have 3 sets of those Aquascape lights and have had them almost a year now. The photocell is a problem, I've had two of them go bad, but had no issues with the lights themselves. It is possible to connect the lights directly to the transformer and either unplug them or put them on a switched outlet. I have gotten around the bad photocell problem by getting a 3 way splitter to connect more than one string to a functioning photocell. They can be a little garish at first but after a few days a coating of algae tones them down. For the money, they were the best solution for us.

studiovette

GS PETE
Reaction score
Phil said:
I have 3 sets of those Aquascape lights and have had them almost a year now. The photocell is a problem, I've had two of them go bad, but had no issues with the lights themselves. It is possible to connect the lights directly to the transformer and either unplug them or put them on a switched outlet. I have gotten around the bad photocell problem by getting a 3 way splitter to connect more than one string to a functioning photocell. They can be a little garish at first but after a few days a coating of algae tones them down. For the money, they were the best solution for us.

Good to know!!! Thanks

Ask a Question