best ways to determine gal in a large pond

Koiguyjoe

Life's short, enjoy koi
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ive just recently lost all of my 11 large koi after expanding the pond before winter so i could leave them In the pond rather than move them. now with no fish left -i should really learn a little more before going further..tho I've had these koi for about a year... but i really need to figure out the best way to.determine the gallons and then figure out how to make the water safe again. through some research on how the fish looked when i found them suggests that the ph may have been too low..

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
almost all places that sell liners have a gallon calculator .I used a water meter to measure mine when i rebuilt it last year

Koiguyjoe

Life's short, enjoy koi
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What are the dimensions of you pond and how deep is it?
ill check that and get back to you. but its deepest in the middle and comes up so its not uniformly deep... if thats an answer at all... but i will gets the dims....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
If you have no koi in residence at the moment why not take this time to empty and clean your pond , then from amazon by a water meter and put it on the hose you fill the pond back up with simple and extreemely accurate to the last drop of water from the pipe :happy: :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=outdoor&field-keywords=water+meters

When our koi came outdoors after 22 years indoors we employed the digital type you see on the link but you could just as well buy any of them

Dave

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
When I rebuilt I made sure it was an even depth because it is really hard to get close enough .I have one of those meters and used when i pumped water back in and then when I put water in from the well .I bought mine at lowes and it has a timer so you can't forget it also and over fill

Ask a Question