big mud pond (100K gal) assorted questions

Reaction score
New property came with what looked like a nasty snake infested bog. I was going to try to fill it but learned i might run into the ACE wetlands people.
I started clearing it away and discovered it is a man-made pond allowed to grow over for about 20 years (NC zone 8, things grow pretty well here)

It's seven feet deep at one end and has large shallow area 1-2 feet deep. It's about 4000 sq feet and i estimate it holds 100,000 gallons. It is fed by a very high water table and runoff.

Everything i know about ponds I've learned in the last few weeks poking around the web.

My goal is just to make this a "feature" of the property instead of a blight.

THe budget is very small.

Would moving the water from the deep end to the shallow end with big pump and have it run back across lots of plants do a decent job of making the water clear? Despite the growth and duck weed and lots of floating vegetation there is very little algae.

Could a pool pump or a well pump do the job ?

Also looking into some sort of bog filter by filling a hot with sand and pea gravel?

What sort of pump capacity do i need?

Thanks

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
check out pond filters.com as my neighbor has a huge pond and he has a floating fountain head and it is hooked to a pump and a filter .I am not sure how big it is but he gets paid for people to use the pond and area for wedding pics and graduation pics .My niece and nephew had there grad. pics done there .He has a huge bog filter.

Reaction score
Back in the winter i saw some minnows but i have not seen any other fish. Neighbors say there used to be lots of fish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
May still be unless predators got them ,but even then there would be babies .Do you know if they have electric out to the pond .

Reaction score
>. Electric

It's 10 feet from my house so getting power to it is not a problem.

I'm sure the minnows are still around but since i exposed a lot more of the pond they have more habitat.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
are you planning on other fish .I know there are several places you can google for fish .I am guessing but since I get lots of frogs yu may have a lot of them also .I live 15 minutes from NC .I got mine a courtiers nursery in Reidsville NC

Reaction score
Yes, i'd like to put a lot of fish in it and any other critter that will thrive. And of course, if i ever got it decent looking and stable i'd like to try koi.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have koi and did not know back then how fussy they are about water quality and how big they get .You have the room at least .My koi are 9 years old and now over 2 feet long

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds neat, post some pictures would love to see it I filter with a bog filter, works great for me.

Ask a Question