Bio Barrel?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hello, My small outside pond is a 3 tier setup (have not took pictures yet), 1st tier is a 20 gallon half-barrel HDPE liner in a half barrel spilling into a 50 gallon preformed spill way pond liner (2nd tier) and then that is spilling into a 270 gallon preformed pond.

Filtration is a 1,200gph pump going to a 13w UV pressurized filter then to a 30 gallon pool sand filter that is filled with Bio Balls, but I want to get a 5mm coarse sand to replace it on the sand filter and place all the Bio balls in the half barrel spillway liner.

The half-barrel liner has a 1"ID Bulkhead about 2" from the bottom with a 1" PVC 90 elbow to cause a swirl in the barrel and was wondering if I could use lighting grate to wedge 1" before the spill way and place my bio balls under that so they swirl and "Agitate" the media and if it would be beneficial or a waste of time? Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Im not looking for Bio Filtration with the sand filter but a fine particle filter I can flush once a week, the barrel which is after the sand filter will be for bio balls. Im looking to use the sand filter with a larger coarse sand or gravel than your traditional pool sand

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ok I have scratched that Idea and have another. Would the water lettuce being on top, be better for filtration or the Bio balls? Also the Blue filter pads Im using I finally found where to get a 30"x30'x1" roll for only $48 that way I can cut them out 24" for the inside of the filter liner!
270 venturi.jpg
270 filter bottom.jpg
270 filter pads.jpg
270 filter.jpg
270 pond.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Stay with the bio-balls (or some other filter media). You need the surface area for ample bacterial colonization. If you don't like the bio-balls floating loose, put them in a mesh nylon laundry bag(s).

Ask a Question