Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
black wave.gif
@jjudjr
I know regular comet goldfish can start out black and stay that way for years and then change color. Don't know about if Shubbies do that tho. Maybe the fantails bred w/them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
My adult black shubies are still all black at 2 years old and about 6-7 inches....I started with 4 tiny shubunkins two years ago and now I have about 25 (they haven't produced anymore offspring since the first time at about 6 months old) 5 are black and the rest are multi colored...quite an assortment...I LOVE my shubies:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I thought I would add an update. Of the original five, one died with a tumor last year and one died over the winter. Not sure what a normal life span is for shubies but one of my remaining originals is no longer eating and just sits on the bottom. So I expect the winter weather will take this one away.
We had no new babies this year, with 25+ fish they seem to eat every egg. Lastly, one of the black shubies is now really all black with a very small orange spot on his head. The other black ones are still brownish with yellow bottoms.

Ask a Question