Black snakes in pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
In my last pond a black snake got into the pond and killed 2 koi. Even with a fish hideout it will not protect the fish from a snake.
Any ideas will be very appreciated. Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
In my last pond a black snake got into the pond and killed 2 koi. Even with a fish hideout it will not protect the fish from a snake.
Any ideas will be very appreciated. Thanks
Solar electric rodent fence. Don’t ask me how I know because it’s a long tale. Yes, they exist and yes they work on snakes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was going to say an axe. short of a raised pond stopping water snakes would be a chore for sure

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have huge rat snakes, black snakes. I have never seen one in the pond. I have seen a small brown garter type snake. I love having them around they are great at rodent control.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
The other day I saw a frog hopping accross the yard as hard as he could go. He made one final hop into the pond and was gone. Hot on his heels was a black snake, who stopped short of the rocks. He poked his head up out of the grass, looked like a periscope, he looked around, and gave up. Headed back to the barn.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
We have huge rat snakes, black snakes. I have never seen one in the pond. I have seen a small brown garter type snake. I love having them around they are great at rodent control.
I've got an Everglades rat snake that's been living in a tunnel that something made next to my pond. I always assumed he was a mouse and frog eater. Do they eat fish?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have snakes but they never go near the pond .I know snakes really do not like rough surfaces .I thought sure they would be sunning on my blacktop driveway but they avoid it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have snakes but they never go near the pond .I know snakes really do not like rough surfaces .I thought sure they would be sunning on my blacktop driveway but they avoid it
Sissy
You have that backwards. Snakes prefer rough surfaces where they can use the surface to grab and move. They cant move as quickly on a smooth surface. As for sunning themselves on a blacktop driveway that would get to hot very quickly. They may rest on it early in am when sun isn't to strong. If its open to the sky probably not since they would be open to hawks.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
here the only time the snakes use roof surface is to shed .My neighbor did a smooth concrete patio and they go on it to sun .He used that epoxy coating in a sky blue ,it is pretty but the snakes freak his wife out .She is a city girl and can't get used to country life .She said it is quiet and to dark ;)

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I never saw snakes in my backyard until this year. I've seen two. The second one was in or near my pond. It had a slug in its mouth. I'm wondering if that's why I'm seeing so few slugs this year.

Ask a Question