Blue heron deterrents

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Just a quick note.....in an earlier post I mentioned my decoy fell over and I left it laying down. The troublesome heron hasn't been back since. I do move the decoy around a little where it fell, but not too much lest the heron think "she's" on the mend.
We'll see how long this lasts.......

Reaction score
Country
United States
Carl is on watch....

bh2.jpeg
bh.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States

Trouble is, my dumb heron is too gregarious, he'd make friends with Carl!

Thank you JW! That's what I was thinking. It did cross my mind to add a little drama with some "blood" and a couple of "feathers" laying about. "Great minds thinking alike..." and all that!:)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have an Al head and he stalks also but under a net like I see you have also @cas
Without my net my fish would be sushi!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had two al heads, the heron figured out they were fake.

Reaction score
Country
United States
BH question. Will they stab at fish while standing on the edge of the pond (out of the water) or do they usually have to stand in the water?

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
BH question. Will they stab at fish while standing on the edge of the pond (out of the water) or do they usually have to stand in the water?
The blue heron that visited my pond, stood in the rocky water fall and stabbed at the fish while ducking it's head under the net. I have seen them standing in water and at the edge.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep they will stab from land or in water and they will stab big koi that they can't even eat but mortally wound them in doing so. I've anchored the bottom of my net to a short wire fence that is stuck into the ground all around my pond. Have to have it set up like Fort Knox to keep fish safe from those birds!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have mine high like JW's, but my edges drape down loose. The heron has not messed with it since I put it up

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Just a quick note.....in an earlier post I mentioned my decoy fell over and I left it laying down. The troublesome heron hasn't been back since. I do move the decoy around a little where it fell, but not too much lest the heron think "she's" on the mend.
We'll see how long this lasts.......

Just a follow-up. I hope I don't jinx myself, but so far so good. Since I haven't resurrected the "Dead Decoy" and have just let it lay, the heron (or any heron for that matter) hasn't returned.
DSC02675.JPG

We'll see how long this lasts........

Ask a Question