Bog building, also called upflow filter, eco filter, wetland filter

Reaction score
Country
United States
How are you coming along with your planning @hamstermann you have been quiet as late
I thought I had a plan in place then found out it wouldn't work like I thought, so it's back to the cycle of plan, then refine, then repeat until I can get something that I like.

The quiet has been due to me trying to make it through this thread. 🙂 I don't want to ask what's already been answered lots of times and I'm really enjoying all the good info. 10 or 15 more pages until I'm all caught up!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I thought I had a plan in place then found out it wouldn't work like I thought, so it's back to the cycle of plan, then refine, then repeat until I can get something that I like.

The quiet has been due to me trying to make it through this thread. 🙂 I don't want to ask what's already been answered lots of times and I'm really enjoying all the good info. 10 or 15 more pages until I'm all caught up!

If I'm not mistaken there's no mention about matrix bogs there on pvc pipe bogs. I thought you were leaning toward the matrix bog

Reaction score
Country
United States
If I'm not mistaken there's no mention about matrix bogs there on pvc pipe bogs. I thought you were leaning toward the matrix bog
That's another place where I'm wavering. I'm finding it hard to justify even $5-6 dollars per milk crate, which is the cheapest I can find them in my area, let alone the $50-60 per water matrix block. Even looking at FloTanks or EcoBlox instead of Aquablocks - they're all priced about the same. Even the culvert pipe is expensive around me. there are only a handful of stores that sell it and they only sell it in 20-foot long runs at hundreds of dollars apiece. I may just have to do the PVC bog for sheer budgetary reasons. If I can get it to run as well as Addy's I'll be happy.

Your bogs empty out into the same stream, correct? Have you noticed a difference in quality or maintenance work between the matrix and PVC bog?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

Dont worry about asking questions that have been asked before. Can be very hard to keep track of all the information. This bog thread was invaluable to me when I first started looking at doing a pond. I stumbled upon this and realized I did not have to worry about cleaning out a filter every week if I built a pond, and just went from there (I had never heard of a bog filter before in my life). People here are happy to help. Questions can be good refreshers for people wondering how to do certain things. Sometimes I search certain things and see old, interesting threads with lots of back and forth. There were some members in the past that had a wealth of knowledge which sadly it seems some of them are no longer on the forum for various reasons.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dont worry about asking questions that have been asked before. Can be very hard to keep track of all the information. This bog thread was invaluable to me when I first started looking at doing a pond. I stumbled upon this and realized I did not have to worry about cleaning out a filter every week if I built a pond, and just went from there (I had never heard of a bog filter before in my life). People here are happy to help. Questions can be good refreshers for people wondering how to do certain things. Sometimes I search certain things and see old, interesting threads with lots of back and forth. There were some members in the past that had a wealth of knowledge which sadly it seems some of them are no longer on the forum for various reasons.
Thanks Pablo.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would not keep koi without matrix blocks. a pvc bog can handle gold fish with no worries. KOI are poop machines they dont have a stomach and just eat and eat. if you give them ten pellets they will eat it but they will only absorb half of it a poop out the rest as the next bit of food just pushes it out prematurely. And your left withy half eaten food resulting in higher levels of ammonia , nitrate etc

Reaction score
Country
United States
Man, I wish I could be like koi. Whatever I eat sticks to me instead of going straight through! :D

I'm not really planning to keep koi. We've got raccoons in the neighborhood (though none have visited me, even since having chickens - fingers crossed that they continue to not find us!) and it's lots cheaper to replace goldfish than koi. Plus, goldfish stay smaller so there's a chance I can have more of them than Koi anyway.

I think I'll start off with just plants and let the pond cycle, then add two or three feeder goldfish while I watch water temperatures in the pond for about a year to know what the summer high and winter lows are so I can decide what else to add. I'd like to have Bluegill and/or rainbow trout, gambusia, and maybe some goldfish and a pleco. It all depends on how deep I end up digging and whether the water temps and parameters are compatible with those fish. I'm also hoping we can go sit in the pond to cool off in the summer and I know that needs more filtration as well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
PLANTS DON'T GROW WELL WITHOUT FISH, fish add waste and nutrients to the water that plants need to grow and be sustainable / ask @combatwombat. YOUR pond takes a long time cycling without fish and once fish are introduced it takes for ever for the dreaded hair algae to go away. it can take years.
yes building a pond is not cheap BUT when it is done right it is beyond worth the investment

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When building this pond system, I was reading posts, forums on monster pond builds, 2010. That is when I decided to go with a big, simple, pvc pipes and pea gravel bog.

I was told by more than one it would never work.

I still have not cleaned it 13 years later. Except pulling excess plant growth. Pond clear, never have string algae or green water.

Love my bog

Reaction score
Country
United States
When building this pond system, I was reading posts, forums on monster pond builds, 2010. That is when I decided to go with a big, simple, pvc pipes and pea gravel bog.

I was told by more than one it would never work.

I still have not cleaned it 13 years later. Except pulling excess plant growth. Pond clear, never have string algae or green water.

Love my bog
Thanks Addy! That's encouraging. I wish you didn't live so far way so I could come see it in person!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lol mine is basic. I added about 10 more ponds over time. Only one is not in the bog cleaning loop.

Some of the ponds on here are unreal.

I had a Kubota tractor and myself when I built it. Dear hubby was still working. will admit, not sure I would ever build another on a steep slope. Makes a great stream, but a nightmare to make a level pond.

For some reason water likes level.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm stressing over 3 inches, can't even imagine the 8 feet you had to do!
Lol it was a pita, up slope edge dug down 4 feet, down slope edge built up with dirt and rocks from digging.

And trying to dig up our septic tank and lines. Found them while digging the pond. Shape was changed to accommodate.

Ask a Question