addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My water clover did not survive its first winter in the bog, it did come back in its pond pot 6 inches under water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oh, well if that's the case, I may not have to worry much about the water clover spreading and taking over the goldfish bog again! I know the penny wart was really thick and healthy in the koi pond, can't remember if I got the start from you, Addy, or JW. Anyhow, hoping that comes back. If not, I'll see what else comes back and go on from there!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your penny wort should be fine, mine has come back. I just have it floating in the ponds.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm not sure what will come back and what won't. I have a fear I may be digging up the bog to change the flow pipes and inspect it for a hole. It seems I was loosing more water than what I thought was normal but it could have been from the drought or water seeping out it places where the marsh bentony was forcing it out. Gosh I hope I got all of that yanked out this past fall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Good luck finding your leak, if you have one still, Ryan. I sure am hoping for no leak in my bog this spring/summer like I had last summer. That would be quite a chore to find/fix! And, here I'm thinking about adding on a very large bog to the koi pond this summer. Not sure I'll do it yet, just thinking about it. Wouldn't cost very much, just for line narrow liner and pea gravel. Will be interesting to see what plants make it back this year. Only ones I added last year (or moved) were the penny wart, water clover, water parsley. I added a couple of reeds, but they are both still green, so assume they are fine. Irises always do well coming back. Might add a day lily to the bog, too.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When it is real hot, windy etc the bog plants plus the surface area sucks water from the pond. I thought I was fighting a leak, decided, like usual, not to worry about it. Have not lost a drop all winter, so no leak just usage by the plants in the bog and evaporation from the surface area.
For me it is normal in summer to lose an inch every few days.

Reaction score
Oh I wanted some advises for a bog, but that is more than what I had hope to find ! lol Just can't wait to have time to think about a bog... first fix the pond....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well, fix the pond, Rivermist, with the thought of building a bog. My pond with large bog (about 1/2 the size of that pond) is crystal clear. The other pond with much smaller bog is becoming more cloudy as the days warm up. Could be goldfish (big bog) vs. koi (smaller bog and skippy filter), but I'm convinced the bog has a LOT to do with the clarity, and Addy is sold on it as well. Thanks so much to her, many of us on here have incorporated her build of a bog with great success. Good luck with your pond fix!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you need help, Rivermist, ask away, they can be big to small. Mine ended up big for the plant area, it sure does work!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
addy1 said:
My water clover did not survive its first winter in the bog, it did come back in its pond pot 6 inches under water.
I worried about the water clover coming back ... now when I try to plant or pull plants in the bog, I realize that very thick matt of roots is either water clover, penny wart, water parsley ... or a combination of all three. Water cover is definitely note dead, just taking a while to grow to full height, but it's definitely coming back. Oh boy ..... :blueflower:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine is growing in the pond, the red stem parrots feather is coming back nicely, the leaves are smaller than the green stem. I picked up a small bunch last year. So far everything looks great. Bog is filling in big time. The water mint in the bog is not coming back, at least yet. Everything else is growing gang busters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
That's cool about the red stemmed parrots feather. Someone said it was not as hardy as the regular green stem, so I may try it again this year. I have the green stemmed stuff coming back nice, in lots of places, so will try the red stemmed for some extra color.

Reaction score
LOL ... yes, your plants are very invassive CE ... they spread all the way here;-) Do you want some red stemmed PF? If you want some, I can pot some up tomorrow or the next day, to give it a boost, and ship some to you in a week or two, PF looks awful after shipping (wilted and near dead looking) but it bounces right back.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
CE the red stem was in the stream and deck pond, shallow water, really froze up, nicely growing back. I was not sure it would make it, but it is

Ask a Question