Bog done - pond to follow someday

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've dabbled with tanks/ponds for a few years and have made myself lots of learning opportunities (aka screw ups). After moving to TN 2 summers ago from AZ, I wanted to grow lotus and eventually have another goldfish pond. After lots of reading here I was inspired to build a bog filter first, so I made one 9 x 4 feet, 2.5 feet deep and then placed a 100 gallon stock tank next to it for my lotus. The plan is to dig a pond with an intake bay in front of the bog but for now the lotus tank with a few goldfish feed the bog and the bog rewards me with a great spot to experiment with plants.

I'm experimenting with lots of stuff in the bog: hibiscus, elephant ears, cannas, callas, Siberian Iris, hostas, butterfly ginger, Mexican petunia, liriope, rain lily and even strawberry runners. My best success has been my first ever lotus flower. I raise/lower the bog water level every few days to thwart the mosquitos and that seems to work until I can provide running water into a pond.

Unclear how soon I’ll be tackling the remainder of the pond plan but I’ll welcome your suggestions when I get started. Your creativity and enthusiasm is infectious.

Attachments

• 20210627_083225(0).jpg
    20210627_083225(0).jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 20210708_074723.jpg
    20210708_074723.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 64
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've dabbled with tanks/ponds for a few years and have made myself lots of learning opportunities (aka screw ups). After moving to TN 2 summers ago from AZ, I wanted to grow lotus and eventually have another goldfish pond. After lots of reading here I was inspired to build a bog filter first, so I made one 9 x 4 feet, 2.5 feet deep and then placed a 100 gallon stock tank next to it for my lotus. The plan is to dig a pond with an intake bay in front of the bog but for now the lotus tank with a few goldfish feed the bog and the bog rewards me with a great spot to experiment with plants.

I'm experimenting with lots of stuff in the bog: hibiscus, elephant ears, cannas, callas, Siberian Iris, hostas, butterfly ginger, Mexican petunia, liriope, rain lily and even strawberry runners. My best success has been my first ever lotus flower. I raise/lower the bog water level every few days to thwart the mosquitos and that seems to work until I can provide running water into a pond.

Unclear how soon I’ll be tackling the remainder of the pond plan but I’ll welcome your suggestions when I get started. Your creativity and enthusiasm is infectious.
Nice!

You're one of a kind; usually, we get people doing it the opposite way--pond, then (eventually) bog! :p

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Very nice planted bog and pretty lotus.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks -- the bog plants have been the most surprising. Most anything grows in there. Yep - so far the fish poo is minimal but it seems to be working :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks very much - I'm enjoying the experiment :) I'm new to the wet climate so it's fun to watch how many things can thrive here, I now have strawberry runners trying to bloom in the bog. Plus I'm now ready to divide some things -- anyone interested in some butterfly ginger divisions let me know. I have two or three that need a new home.
OH -- and I just found my 2nd lotus bud! Soooo fun :)

Attachments

• 20210717_084552.jpg
    20210717_084552.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210705_082020.jpg
    20210705_082020.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 39

Ask a Question