Bog Filter inside a 150 gallon aquarium

Reaction score
Country
United States
In January I started building a bog filtered 150gallon aquarium in my classroom. It was winter, the space was there so why not. About a month after getting it up and running we adopted our daughter and I left school for the rest of the year. I would go in every once in a while and check on things. It’s doing pretty well. The bog has monkey flower and a dwarf canna. I’m using some grow lights I had. They are good for the bog but might be too intense for the aquatic part. A student brought in a baby painted turtle and it is doing well. It does have a CO2 system. The goldfish and koi were taken out this weekend and replaced with crappie and yellow perch. Bluegill and maybe a small bass will be added soon. I’m going for a local gamefish collection. There is also a channel cat in there. I would love to screen in the space above it and try to have aquatic insects hatch and breed but it could be a year or two before I attempt that. I need to put up a sign in the lower left explain wetland filtration and a bit about what’s in the tank. I hope that will make that dead space more interesting. I wish I had made that area a window into the inner works of the filter. Thought I’d post it here and see what you all thought. View attachment 161121View attachment 161122View attachment 161123View attachment 161124View attachment 161125
Congratulations on adopting your little girl! Our adoption should be final this month and we are so excited!

JMJ

Marsh Gorilla
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Nicely done , i love the tree stump, i use to get chewed out all the time for having an ordinary tree stump in my aquarium. i never followed the rules . I always tried to duplicate NATURE.... NOT WHAT SOLD....
This sings to my soul! I wish I still had pics of when I ran an open top saltwater native tank with a black mangrove tree and juvi stingrays and a diamondback terrapin. My wife said I took it too far when the periwinkle snails were trailing up the wall behind the tank lol.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My too far was when the bird food really started to disappear quickly we thought one of the birds were a little pig. That was untill i looked up and saw a mouse looking down at me from the land section above the tank. i thought my head was going to roll and it did for a short time that is untill the wife saw the littlke guy from a distance and watched him from behind the bug screen and actualy called him cute and sweet, as she watched him eat and go down to the water and get a drink.

Ask a Question