Bog Pipping Clogged

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
It seems my pvc pipes in the bog are clogged. The pump is running nicely when i disconnect it from the pipes. What do you guys do for cleaning short of taking it all out which I'm dreading considering the amount of gravel and plants. It would be a whole day project maybe two and I would need at least two barrels.

What do i do to make it not happen again? All my pvc pipes are open ended and all have holes facing down along the pipes. o_O

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not sure how you have your pipes layer out. You say open ended. Do b you mean on the bottom of the bog? I have 90° elbows bringing mine up to the top and then capped.
You can try hooking up a more powerful pump to blow out the blockage or try a shop vac on the intake. Hope you don't have to empty the bog- been there- done that!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
All my pvc pipes are open ended
if your pipes are open on the end if you used nothing but 3/8" peastone then your pipe surely got filled pea stone will run like sand . YOU SHOULD HAVE HAD 2" OR LARGER STONE AROUND THE PVC PIPE and then smaller layers this will allow the water and debris to not clog the system and find the path of least resistance. if it open i would dig down and get a elbow onto it and run another pipe up close to the surface, and cap it with a threaded end cap .that way you can flush out your pipes. by removing the threaded end cap . us a larger pump and flush away

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
My problem is with a larger pump is how am I gonna connect it to the standard pvc size. The connections are not exactly easy to find that connects larger sized pumps to the smaller sized pvc pipes.

I did see online someone use this. I bought one and will attempt to snake the clogg out. It has been running for two years so Im betting some of the pond gunk has blocked it. It doesnt take a lot of water to get it to flow back.

I was also thinking of pouring a bit of peroxide in the pvc after that to kill the algae clogging it.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Fernco makes rubber compression couplings that are designed to join 2 different sizes of pvc. I have several I got at Lowes. You can hook up a larger pump or a shop vac with it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Fernco makes rubber compression couplings that are designed to join 2 different sizes of pvc. I have several I got at Lowes. You can hook up a larger pump or a shop vac with it.

Can you show example pictures or links?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
These come in a variety of sizes.
20231227_164422.jpg

Attachments

• 20231227_164422.jpg
    20231227_164422.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
It's official. I think it's clogged deep, so it must be either the stones or the pressure is finally too much to push through for the pump. I'll have to remake the bog this summer. I let the water now just pour over the bog to continue at least the flow of water to it and back to the pond.

The coupler you are showing is useful. I'm gonna go online and buy one.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
20220924_103731.jpg
These are my clean out pipes on my bog. I just remove the caps and let the water flow thru till its clear. The large blue pipe is so I can drop a pump in and drain the bog if I ever have to.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Oh wow your pipes look a lot bigger than mine. Just how big is the feeding pipe to the bog?

Also, do you have a side design of the set up? I am trying to imagine how they are connected.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My problem is with a larger pump is how am I gonna connect it to the standard pvc size. The connections are not exactly easy to find that connects larger sized pumps to the smaller sized pvc pipes.

I did see online someone use this. I bought one and will attempt to snake the clogg out. It has been running for two years so Im betting some of the pond gunk has blocked it. It doesnt take a lot of water to get it to flow back.

I was also thinking of pouring a bit of peroxide in the pvc after that to kill the algae clogging it.
The only time you should be going smaller than what the size is ff the pump is because you have split the piping and now you have EQUAL flow within two or more smaller pumps. other wise your restricting the pump and you should have gotten a smaller pump if the restricted is the flow that you want,

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
algae needs light to survive no light no algae . any algae that should get sucked in will deteriorate just as fast with or without chemicals.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I ran 2" pipe for the entire bog setup. Currently running a 1600gph pump. Not my photo but I used the same layout. I put 90s on top and capped them off.

Attachments

• OIP.jpg
    OIP.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 19

Ask a Question