addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I cut slips, put facing down, no clean out pipe, capped ends. 13 years later no clogging.

Mine are about 1/3 to 1/2 through the pupe, 4 to 6 inches apart, 27 foot long 2 inch pipes, two. Just pea gravel, pipes about 2 feet under gravel.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This video from the pond digger is pretty good for the basics. He is doing a small patio bog but shows you what most people do when creating a bog. The ten minute mark is when he cuts the slits. Slits can be blocked by the gravel, some here recommend putting larger stones at the bottom of the bog and gradually get smaller stones to the top.

i do hope that he is not pumping more than 2000 gph thats not a lot of slits

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i do hope that he is not pumping more than 2000 gph thats not a lot of slits
He was doing a video series on a patio pond, for people that dont have a large landscape, like an apartment or a condo. He just had two small tubs, one for the pond and another for a bog. The OP wanted to see what the slits looked like so I sent along the video.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Understood but i think eric was a little stingy on how many cuts

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
This video from the pond digger is pretty good for the basics. He is doing a small patio bog but shows you what most people do when creating a bog. The ten minute mark is when he cuts the slits. Slits can be blocked by the gravel, some here recommend putting larger stones at the bottom of the bog and gradually get smaller stones to the top.

This was very very helpful thank you. I did not drill slits. I made holes and open ended. He seems to use bigger gravel size than I do. I need to see how he connected all these to the pump cause this size of cylinder is a bit too large for my pump outlet. I used a laguna maxflow 960.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This was very very helpful thank you. I did not drill slits. I made holes and open ended. He seems to use bigger gravel size than I do. I need to see how he connected all these to the pump cause this size of cylinder is a bit too large for my pump outlet. I used a laguna maxflow 960.
Others here can help you with that. Pretty sure you just use a fitting that can connect two different size pipes. But then you might get into issues with pressure and flow, so I defer to the experts lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If your using a small pump like a 1000 gph going to even a two inch pipe is a desirable effect. you want to push the water to the bottom of the bog . once the water gets there you want it to slow down let heavy sediments fall and that can be cleaned out latter. so the larger pipe will allow the incoming water to displace the water in the pipe without forcing it by high psi . this is where the debate slits up or down comes in. slits up are more vulnerable to roots and stone clogging the pipe. If holes are used, holes down are a must imo. Slits down some feel won't collect the debris , i feel its cons out weigh clogging from roots or gravel

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I feel your pain. We had to dig up our bog pipes last spring and it was a chore and a half. It turned out the sweet flag I had put in the bog had massive invasive roots that were a bear to get out of the pipes. No more of that plant in my pond!

Reaction score
Country
United States
It seems my pvc pipes in the bog are clogged. The pump is running nicely when i disconnect it from the pipes. What do you guys do for cleaning short of taking it all out which I'm dreading considering the amount of gravel and plants. It would be a whole day project maybe two and I would need at least two barrels.

What do i do to make it not happen again? All my pvc pipes are open ended and all have holes facing down along the pipes. o_O

Is it possible to look at it in a similar way to a clog in your house drains and use a roto snake to rod it out?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I feel your pain. We had to dig up our bog pipes last spring and it was a chore and a half. It turned out the sweet flag I had put in the bog had massive invasive roots that were a bear to get out of the pipes. No more of that plant in my pond!
I've been planning to put sweet flag in my bog when it's built. In your case was it in the bog or the pond itself? and how often did you thin out the older tubers? I'm wondering if it's still possible to have sweet flag without the clogging if I thin them every so often or pull them up and trim the roots periodically.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have sweet flag no issues with roots , but my pipes are 2 plus feet deep under the gravel.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I use an electrical snake to declog my PVC pipes. It's not ideal, but it usually works well enough to keep the water flowing.

Ask a Question