Building a plant garden pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can not believe that I gave gotten this project so far along and now realize that I have a big problem. Let’s first start by getting some of the simple questions out of the way. The pond is 35 x 15 by 18”deep. The liner will be EPDM 45 mil. All of the plumbing is already underground.

The first problem I have is how do I make an overhanging lip around the inside edge of the pond. The second problem is how I get rid of the wrinkles in the liner caused by the curved sides of the pond. I am open to using whatever material is needed to solve the problem (Cement, bricks, pavers, etc)

The first two pictures are examples of what I am doing.

Attachments

• ornamental-pond-set-in-lawn-with-steps-to-grounds-of-formal-garden-g7bmw5.jpg
    ornamental-pond-set-in-lawn-with-steps-to-grounds-of-formal-garden-g7bmw5.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 22
  • GeneralPicture 137.jpg
    GeneralPicture 137.jpg
    431.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 100_6581.JPG
    100_6581.JPG
    293.8 KB · Views: 21

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
You won’t get rid of all the wrinkles, the idea is to work the wrinkles into larger folds, which are much easier to hide. Also, keep in mind any folds/wrinkles you see initially will disappear once you plant the pond it ages And everything gets a coating of algae on it.

to Hide the top of the liner, with the inside lip, dig the pond a little wider(whatever the width of the bricks/pavers you want to use to build the foundation for the top cap to sit on. Then It is just as simple as picking a top cap that is large enough to adequately cover the foundation you built and over hang the pond edge.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I missed explaining my first problem correctly. When you look at the first 2 pictures (the examples) the finished pond cap around the pond is flat and level all around the pond. This can only achieved if the dirt with wrinkles under the cap is flat. How does one create this flat/level surface for the cap?

Second, what type of cap material does one use to create the pie sliced caps at each end of the pond? They are going to have to be custom cut

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The best for no wrinkles in a bonded liner.
If your doing it your self you could over dig the pond get the bottom all nice and wrinkle free. Then apply your fabric i would lay it across the entire liner . again in a substantially over dug hole. make your walls you should have a completely wrinkle free base. then fold the liner up to your walls from the out side this wil eliminate alot of your folds in the pond and you can hide them behind the walls. bring the liner up on the back side you can fold the liner like any other edge in a ppond fold it over and back fill . or you can bring it onto the side and secure it with a termination strip or tuck it under a cap

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I missed explaining my first problem correctly. When you look at the first 2 pictures (the examples) the finished pond cap around the pond is flat and level all around the pond. This can only achieved if the dirt with wrinkles under the cap is flat. How does one create this flat/level surface for the cap?

Second, what type of cap material does one use to create the pie sliced caps at each end of the pond? They are going to have to be custom cut
Lets say you have a thick area with three folds in one spot that would go under the cap it's probably going to be 3/4 OF AN INCH OF MATERIAL bring it up top make it as flat as you can secure it with screws termination strip etc . then under the cap hollow out/ make a groove in the cap so you can have the material into the cap and hide it while the edge to the pond is tight to the wall

Ask a Question