Building my Pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
:):)

I have really enjoyed reading everyone's journals of start to finish pond building, so even though I am about 10 days in, I decided it would be a great place to start... and hopefully encourage others who are thinking of having their own pond.
The original spot I wanted for my pond was next to an existing wild flower bed near to the house, but now I am glad I chose the spot I have, as it will be much easier to expand over the years!
In the first photo, you can see the apple trees, in front of that, the electric netting, and in front of that a little spot with garlic poking up. I had planted a potato cage there a few years ago, and last summer there was some extra garlic there. It was already dug up nice and deep, good loose soil, so that became the spot for the pond. It is also level, with a slope to the east of it, perfect for my future stream.
Hubby dug and placed the existing preformed pond, about 5 x 3, and I planted some annuals, so that it would look decent for our daughters wedding reception, which we held last weekend. He placed 2 water lilies, 1 pitcher plant and 10 gold fish in the pond, and I had a small fountain pump.
If I had thought about it more, I would have realized that I should have gone bigger to start, because of course, now, I want to go much bigger! In the third photo, you can see the white hose outlining the area that will be about a 18 x 8 pond, with a small waterfall connecting the 2. The waterfall end will be the "deep" end, probably about 3 1/2', with a pebble beach on the other end. On the other side of the small pond, will be my meandering stream, running down hill, for about 40 feet, starting at a tree. About 3/4 of the way down, there will be a small, about 2 x 3 pond, about 1 foot deep.
I've just started digging the stream, and have about 6 feet dug.
My biggest problem right now, is figuring out the type of solar pump to get for the stream, and small waterfalls. I know I most probably won't have the big pond dug this summer, or much of the stream, and so am stuck with what to do about a pump, so that I don't have to buy one this year, and trade it in for a bigger one next year. I also need to come up with some sort of a filtering system.
The other problem is, even though I did do some digging yesterday, we have had so much rain here, that it makes it difficult. We are supposed to get storms later today, and pretty much rain all week. :( So for now, I sit and dream, and plan. IMG_0100.JPG IMG_20150618_193847.jpg CAM00315.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Love the plans! And I do love your hubby and his thoughtful gift. He's obviously a good guy!

While I do like the idea of a solar pump, I think you'll find there really isn't much out there that can be counted on to run your pond 24/7 like you need to. I've found pumps that I would use for a small water feature that I didn't care if it went off at night or on cloudy days, but your pond needs to circulate constantly and solar just isn't there yet. Also I don't think the solar pumps you can currently buy can provide the kind of power that they need to move several thousand gallons of water per hour. But I encourage your quest and will look forward to hearing what you discover!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome!

Where will your primary viewing of the new pond be? My advice would be if at all possible to situate so waterfalls will be facing you (with my slope away from the house, I wasn't able to do that too well and it has always bugged me, lol).

Looks like you have a lot of room for future expansion... it's going to be GREAT! Just remember, there's no real rush... take your time and enjoy the process!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lots of room to go BIG! lol, that will look great btw

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
To echo what Lisa1 stated, the solar pumps (that are affordable) are not powerful enough to provide adequate flow for a typical pond much less a waterfall and stream plus the pond water needs to be circulated 24/7/365. Solar can't provide this continuous operation.
There are solar pumps available that can produce considerable flow, but these are certainly priced outside of the typical pond owners budget. The panels alone would cover most of one's yard.

Last edited:
M

MariaTeresa

I'm currently running a pond on solar power, and I do not recommend it. The main flaw with running a solar powered pond is that there are no decent DC pond pumps on the market. I use a bilge pump, but I'm on the 5th pump in 6 months. They are cheap, but require wiring every time you need a new one. There are well-type water pumps, but these are hugely expensive (just like the rest of the system would be) and I'm not sure how well they would work in a pond situation.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Sorry to change the subject but is that a vineyard or fruit trees.You can get a energy efficient pump like laguna .My 2900 gph says 100 watts but only uses about 80 watts .They have what is called a sweet spot and use less electric than stated .My 2400 gph uses only 55 watts

Ask a Question